Phone stolen, not sure how much of my flashcards/progress were backed up by Samsung Cloud?

vickynessz

秀才
Hi,

I've gotten a new phone, and on it a lot of my flashcards were backed up, but I'm not entirely sure until what point and it's really bothering me that I can't quite tell. Is there a way to see last backup date, or last study date? Does Pleco have any temporary backups of user data on their end that maybe they could restore my progress and settings for me that way? My Pleco settings also weren't backed up - does anyone know why that is? E.g., test settings?

Thank you!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you have the paid version of our flashcard add-on, you could use the search feature in Organize Cards to show a list of all cards sorted by 'last reviewed' in descending order, then tap on the first card and see what the review date is.

We don't currently make any other backups on our end besides what's being done by Android. For settings, those are stored in a different place than flashcards so it's possible that an incomplete backup might include one and not the other, but since you mention test settings specifically: did you maybe have the paid flashcard add-on but it's now been deactivated? (we can help you reactivate it if so, just contact support)

vickynessz

秀才
Thanks for the quick reply Mike!

It seems like the last review date is Dec 5, whereas I know I definitely did reviews in January. But that's odd, because my backup that I restored from Samsung (which supposedly includes app data) is from Jan 20th. Now I'm a little nervous about any future data loss issues - how can I ensure my Pleco progress is fully backed up to the cloud (without having to manually export backups all the time)?

But I did manage to reactivate my paid add-ons, which restored my test settings! That should have been obvious to me haha, makes sense why some settings weren't the same if I hadn't reactivated yet. Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That is odd - I don't suppose you were looking at reviews from a different scorefile? (maybe one from a profile you don't use regularly?)

I don't really have a great answer for how to make sure Samsung Cloud is actually backing up your data other than to test those backups regularly. It's possible that it might not back up data when the app is open, so one suggestion would be to make sure to terminate Pleco from time to time so that it has a chance to make that backup.