PD and Windows Mobile 2005

A

Anonymous

PlecoDict and CE-Star

I'm having problems with PlecoDict again.

When I reboot my Qtek 9100 (WM5), I have no trouble opening PlecoDict.

Now, I'm also using a beta version of CE-Star for Chinese input in all my other programs. It seems as if whenever I start using CE-Star, PlecoDict will not open at all.

Or sometimes, after 10 minutes, 3 instances of Plecodict will suddenly start up because I clicked on PD 3 times.

Now, I'm having the opposite problem. CE-Star will not open at all but I have no problems starting PlecoDict. I tried deleting all the PD files in the registry but CE-Star still won't start (and PD is still OK).

Ideally I'd like both pieces of software to work together.

Any ideas?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sfrrr - we've already tracked down the source of this Card tab bug and it'll be fixed in Beta 3, so that's one less bug to worry about at least. Unfortunately, there's no workaround, but it won't be too too much longer until Beta 3 is ready.

rt - we'll look into this, but honestly this sounds like more of a CE-Star problem than a PlecoDict problem - this much-touted "DynaNLS technology" in their new WM5 version sounds like a recipe for trouble. My guess is that CE-Star is attempting to hack WM5's text rendering engine in some way to enable Chinese support in non-Chinese-friendly applications without using font linking (which isn't always allowed on WM5), and when it tries to apply its hack to PlecoDict it runs into a problem which causes it to either slow down your system or refuse to start altogether. So all I can suggest right now is that you either switch to a different Chinese enabler or contact Mobem and ask them if they have any workarounds for this. We'll see if there's any way we can easily work around this for Beta 3, but my guess is that it won't be easy, and it would be kind of a waste of time for us to develop a fix for a bug that may not even occur in the finished release of CE-Star.

sfrrr

状元
I just installed CEStar's WM5 version and so far, it's worked on my Axim x51v. However, every time I use CEStar, it find it flakey and end up uninstalling it after a while. Plus, mobem's support leaves everything to be desired. If I can get it installed properly, Mactiontech's Monster Chinese is much more reliable. And seems to work just fine with PD. It's just that sometimes, I just can't get it to install at all.

Sandra

Oh, and Mike--I'm curious about the card tab bug. What makes such a strange thing happen?

Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's actually pretty simple - as far as Windows is concerned, each tab is a separate dialog box which is "opened" the first time you select that particular tab. So the code related to setting up / populating the Card panel isn't run until you actually select that tab; when something causes that code to crash (as happened in this case) Windows disables that dialog and removes its associated tab.

sfrrr

状元
mikelove and Park He Lin--thank you.

Mike--reading how programmers think about design code vs the way we see that results of that code gives me more and more insight into what a computer is.

Park He Lin--thanks for the reference. D*mn. I had Monster Chinese installed on my Axim x51c and loved it. However, I uninstalled it because I needed the space. When I tried to reinstall it, everything turned out a mess. So, I switched back to CEStar (not my favorite program) and now I face trouble with it...as usual. I'll just have to do a hard reboot and reinstall MC early in the restore process.

Sandra

A

Anonymous

What version of Monster Chinese have you folks been using? While I was in Hong Kong I was made aware of version 5, but they only had pirated versions. So I didn't buy it. I came home and searched the internet but only found a site in Chinese that I couldn't read so I just left it at that. Have you folks been installing version 4 or 5?

sfrrr

状元
Actually, THIS is the direct link to the download: http://maction11.myweb.hinet.net/MonsterChinese/WM5.exe. My Chinese level isn't that high (maybe the beginning of intermediate) but I managed to install it fine.

This is the version I used until I was dumb enough to uninstall it for space. BTW, you also need Monster SIP (several input systems--pinyin, chajie, zhuyin, handwriting recognition, etc) and KB (keyboard).

Good luck.

Sandra

sfrrr

状元
Mike--I've been afraid to post this for fear of bringing down some curse, but...

Giving each memory card its own name seems to have kept them from disappearing in the last 24 hours.

Thanks,
Sandra

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well 24 hours is a start at least, though it's pretty appalling that Microsoft has allowed this bug to go unfixed for so long... (I believe it's been in there at least since PPC2002).