Organizing Cards Question

So I have been using Pleco for awhile now on my Android phone. Since it, and the basic flashcard system, is free on the Android I used it without having the Spaced Repitition system for a long time. Once I reached about 1500 cards I heard about SRS and decided to pay and upgrade my flashcards so I could use it. Now that I have it I have no idea how to use it the way I want (I have already looked through the manual).

Every time I start an SRS test session it brings up all 1500 cards and no matter how many I go though they never repeat. I know I can select the cards that I want to be tested on, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of SRS?

1. How can I get Pleco to only test me on the cards I don't know yet without having to go through all 1500 a ton of times?

2. Also how can I get Pleco to bring up a card that I missed completely within a minute or so? Pleco does bring up new cards, but only once within all 1500 , unlike Anki so how can I fix that?

Sorry for being so 麻烦,I just really want to figure this out so I can learn Chinese most effectively.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry for the confusion on that.

1) Turn on "limit new cards" in Card Selection and that will limit the pool of new cards to a certain number at a time or a certain number of new cards per day.

2) We currently only support that at the end of a session ("repeat incorrect" option in "end of session"). You can get something like that behavior if you use our "weighted" card selection system, but it's a bit unreliable and scheduled to be removed in a future update (but in favor of an SRS system that does allow for cards to come up again on the same test).

Sorry for the confusion on that.

1) Turn on "limit new cards" in Card Selection and that will limit the pool of new cards to a certain number at a time or a certain number of new cards per day.

2) We currently only support that at the end of a session ("repeat incorrect" option in "end of session"). You can get something like that behavior if you use our "weighted" card selection system, but it's a bit unreliable and scheduled to be removed in a future update (but in favor of an SRS system that does allow for cards to come up again on the same test).

Thanks so much for your response!

So if I limit my new cards to 20 per day when will those cards show up? At the start of the 1500 or dispersed through out? Because I don't have time to go through all 1500 cards everyday. Do you recommend that I do fewer card categories rather than all 1500 of my cards?

Thanks again, and sorry for being troublesome

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It will only show you those 20 cards the first day; it'll add 20 more the next day (that you study - it's smart enough to skip days that you don't do any testing) and so on, but you'll only be testing the full 1500 after 75 days. And at that point, if you're using SRS the intervals for most of them should be long enough that you won't see more than 100 or so on any given day.

It will only show you those 20 cards the first day; it'll add 20 more the next day (that you study - it's smart enough to skip days that you don't do any testing) and so on, but you'll only be testing the full 1500 after 75 days. And at that point, if you're using SRS the intervals for most of them should be long enough that you won't see more than 100 or so on any given day.

Wow that's exactly what I want! The only problem I have left is getting it to only test me on the cards for that day. When I click begin test it shows all 1500. Am I supposed to go through just the first 20 and then quit the test until the next day? I really want it to just show the cards for that day so that I can get all the way through the test and then be tested on the cards I missed at the end.

Thanks soooooooo much for your help

p.s. oh and by the way I have already limited cards to 20 per day in settings so that's not the issue.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Had you already reviewed all of those cards? They may already be part of your review pool in that case; once you've reviewed a card once it's no longer 'new' and hence will keep coming up in reviews even if you add a per-day limit.

Go into Organize Cards, tap Edit, Batch, scroll down to the bottom and tap on the button to reset all card statistics; that will remove everybody from the pool so that the system can then start introducing just 20 words a day.