Notification when new/updated dictionaries are available?

etm001

状元
Hi,

AFAIK, Pleco does not provide a notification (e.g., iOS badge, etc.) when a new dictionary is available. Am I wrong? I think that would be nice to have and not overly intrusive.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Good idea but surprisingly tricky to implement - not only would we have to add code to support remote notifications, we'd also have to keep track of which devices had which dictionaries installed on them and only deliver notifications to the devices that need them. So I don't know if it would offer enough benefit over the current check-once-a-week / put-up-an-alert-on-startup approach to justify all of that work.

JD

状元
... the current check-once-a-week / put-up-an-alert-on-startup approach to justify all of that work.

I've never seen an update alert message and have had Pleco for several months now. Did I accidentally turn off some sort of notification setting? I remember manually going to the add-on section and seeing there were updates available to download, but I've never seen a separate notification within the app.

JD

状元
Hmm. Perhaps there's some bug then on the iOS version (latest iOS7 variant on iPad Air). I have the toggle enabled for "Check for database updates" (it's blue colored and has the slider to the right). However when I go to the "add-ons" and then the "updated " tab, I see an available download for the extended Unihan Character DB. But I have not received any type of popup notice upon starting up Pleco....and I've not seen any dialogs in the past. However, I don't know how long that DB download has been in the queue...you said it's a weekly check.

Would any of the Notification Center settings in iOS interfere with the popup on Pleco startup?

JD

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's only been out for about 2 days, so it makes sense it wouldn't have notified you yet.

alex_hk90

状元
Good idea but surprisingly tricky to implement - not only would we have to add code to support remote notifications, we'd also have to keep track of which devices had which dictionaries installed on them and only deliver notifications to the devices that need them. So I don't know if it would offer enough benefit over the current check-once-a-week / put-up-an-alert-on-startup approach to justify all of that work.

Does the weekly check also tell you if there are new dictionaries available, rather than updates to your existing dictionaries? I just checked my settings and I have the option you mention above enabled but don't remember ever seeing any alerts for new dictionaries (or, come to think of it, updated dictionaries for a long time).

Shun

状元
I can see that users also don't want to be pushed to buy a new dictionary each time one comes out. Keeping the number of alerts minimal is always a good idea.

JD

状元
That's only been out for about 2 days, so it makes sense it wouldn't have notified you yet.

I waited a few more days to see if the notice would come up, and I received the popup notification that I had an update this morning. In the past, I must have updated manually frequently enough that I've never run across the dialog before. Glad to know it works, but odd that I've not seen it before.