newbie: palm vs ipaq question

alexxx

秀才
Sorry if the question has been answered elsewhere, I just dropped in and the only info I found about my problem is here: http://www.pleco.com/whichpda.html .

I am studying chinese (for my pleasure, not work) and it seems that this software is the way to go (though I also heard good reviews about the Ectaco GD-128).

Unfortunately I don't own a pda (and I'm a bit luddite too, electronic devices irritate me ...) but was preparing myself into buying one.

My problem/question is the tradeoff between screen size and operability.

Screen size: 320 x 240 pixels the Ipaq, 320 x 480 pixels the Palm TX

Operability:
the new version of our software we're about to release, Pleco 2.0, runs significantly better on Pocket PC than on Palm, and with Palm OS sales and market share dwindling we can't guarantee that we'll continue supporting Palm OS at all in future versions of Pleco.

What do you suggest for a new user?

Thanks for any help!

alessandro

ipsi

状元
General consenus would be that WM is probably a better choice, unless you have a burning desire to keep on buying new gadgets (I do, but I'm weird).

On the other hand, everyone's needs are different... What else do you plan on doing with the device? Just Pleco?

The resolution difference probably won't be hugely noticable (but I could be wrong - I've only used 320x320 devices), and you have more control over the fonts on a WM device, so you can increase or decrease as you prefer :).

Alternatively, if you feel like practicing patience, you can wait for the iPhone/iPod Touch version. Probably won't be as feature-packed, but should still be better than basically anything else out there for those devices.

alexxx

秀才
320x320 devices? I believed the Ipaq 114 was 320x240.
If it is 320x320, then I admit it's nearer to the 320x480 and that could be better...

alessandro

alessandro,

I am using an hp iPaq hx2495 with a resolution of 240 X 320. I use Pleco on it as well as many other programs such as Pocket Stars, Illustrated World Atlas, Kana Benkyou, MDict, Atomic Cannon, Microsoft Office Mobile, and several web browsers. With all of these applications I have not found the resolution to be an issue. When using Pleco, if the character I am looking at has many strokes (such as the character 戴, which has 17 strokes) and they are not clearly distinguishable from each other, then I just bump the font size up for that particular field. Alternatively, the character can be magnified. As ipsi said, the font size for WM devices/Pocket PCs (PPC) is quite customizable. Pleco allows you to adjust/set many of the different fonts independently of each other(definition font size, list font size, headword size, zoom size) on WM devices. I cannot say if this is the same on the Palm version as I have not used it; perhaps ipsi can chime in hear . . . :D That said, admittedly, if I could have purchased the unit with a higher resolution I would have done so, as I firmly believe the higher the resolution of a display the better it is.

As ipsi says, you really need to determine what you plan on using the device for. Also remember when doing this to keep in mind what the storage capabilities are of the unit you are buying. For example, if you are going to be installing a lot of applications and many mp3's as well as a few videos, you will want to make sure that your device has an SD card slot that supports SD cards larger than 1GB, and preferably can support SDHC, or has an SD card slot and a CF card slot. On the other hand, if you don't plan on putting a lot of applications and media on your device this requirement won't really matter as much. Of course, if you are planning on watching lots of video on your device, than by all means go with the highest resolution you can afford, as you will appreciate the crispness of the display when watching them.

One other thing to consider is price. WM devices will tend to set you back quite a bit more than Palm devices.

Sorry I can't say any specifics about Palm devices. I have not used them. Anyway, I hope this helps.

Good luck!

tianli

举人
I have no WM experience but can satisfy the references to the Palm TX, firstly though it might help if I identify why I chose the TX in the first place. (and you will find this discussion and my angst in earlier posts in this forum)

The convenience of combining a phone with pleco has no merit with me and I will never understand the compomise some of you are prepared to make based on the inability to carry 2 pocket sized devices. :lol: Maybe some of you should consider carrying a bag or at the least wearing your phone externally on a belt and carrying your PDA in a pocket. Even the suggestion of a limited pleco iphone version rubs me the wrong way and is again a contradiction if you what all the power that pleco can deliver. The iphone's (is 'i' for idiot?) limited battery life and the inability to replace the battery makes the concept of combining power/time dependant functions a comedy. If you are a gadget freak then you will discover that in time (maturity) that function over form reigns supreme. That one day you will find there is no merit in impressing yourself or friends with a phone that has form and that the function of the device or application is the only truth. Even Batman required a utility belt to carry his workplace tools ...and none of them were multi-function devices. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapnel_gun#Contents

If you want a phone, simplify it and buy a phone, if you want pleco (which I regards as an essential) then buy a device for pleco, if you need a hat then buy a hat. If you have demands on portable applications then look at a WM device or alternativly look back at your phone criteria and if its function will extend to your seemingly portable but in reality chained to the web life.

I have a T/X, I use it for pleco, I use it every day and strangely I never have trouble finding a pocket or a briefcase and if I was so disposed (God forbid) I might even have a handbag or a clutch purse.

The screen on any PDA is the primary interface to pleco and on the T/X it is a crisp and bright 320x480, the soft-keyboard in Pleco 2.0 totally negates the need for a keyboard, so with the capacity of large fonts, character magnification, tons of internal memory and the capacity to use 4Gb SD cards, makes the T/X a power PDA for Pleco users. In addition it plays my music and chinese audio files (even has a pocket tunes player that has on-screen replay buttons for 15sec, 30sec, 1min, 2min, 5min (HiFi High Jump)) and satisfies the gadget needs of playing movies, photo albums, pdf reader, and web browser.

If my palm T/X was to be lost or stolen or damaged beyond repair then I would not even hesitate to replace it with the same.

That all said, I would regard the demise of palm as a platform with little regret, again I must stress function over form. It would simply mean that I would be likely to move to a WM platform if that is where and when pleco development on WM surpassed the pleco function on palm and unless I am mistaken that has not yet occured and I see no immediate reference that it is any way likely in the near future.

I can also be certain that I will never 'dumb down' and port over to an iphone and I find the concept abhorrent and a misuse of development time just so that a dumbed down consumer can be satisfied on a whim without substance. :twisted: