New "User tips" forum?

gato

状元
Could we have a "User Tips" forum in the Current Products section, where users can talk about perhaps certain non-obvious ways they've found to use Pleco?

Some examples of such threads include
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2268
Flashcards: How to see Eng/Pinyin & enter Chinese characters

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1513&p=10764#p10764
V2 flash card question

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=614
Flashcards Simplified

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1809&p=13673&hilit=flashcards#p13673
Flashcards - spaced repitition question

You probably don't need a separate subforum for WM, Palm, and iPhone. Just ask people to label their thread as "[General]", "[Palm]", "[WM]", and "[iPhone]". I suspect that it won't be a busy forum like the others, but it'll be nice to collect these tips all in one place. There are already a number of existing threads, including the above, that can be copied/moved there.

If we get around to setting up a wiki for Pleco, then some of these tips can also be copied there, though it's nice to have a discussion area for these things, as well.

I sent this to Mike Love as a PM, but seem to have a problem sending it, so I'm posting it here, as well.

sfrrr

状元
Nice idea, Gato. Set up a Tips forum and they will come. No doubt about it. But who will compile all the past tips, such as the links you mentioned? This is a busy time of year for many of us.

And don't we already have a wiki at stephenhodges panlogics.com? (Or something like that.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Received both of your PMs - I like the idea, but we've actually already started planning for a total site redesign (about time for us to take the plunge and use a CMS, among other things - EE or WordPress, most likely, though IP.Content's got an outside change) and I think a proper wiki should finally be forthcoming with that. Which at least initially might mostly consist of a lot of links to useful forum posts, but I'd rather only have to do the work of linking in all of those posts once.

Then again, given how long redsigns like this usually end up taking, a tips forum might be a worthwhile thing to have in the interim (and pretty easy to turn into a wiki later on) - anybody other than me interested in helping collect / link to useful old posts? :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Done.

I moved in a few recent "user tips" threads from other forums to here (and am continuing to do so) - if any of you would like your posts moved back to their original forums, just PM me and I'll move them back, or if there's any post you've made in another forum you'd like moved here, let me know.

Also, the above note about giving permission to include in the Wiki obviously doesn't apply for posts that we moved into here, so if you'd rather not have your moved-in post included in the Wiki just PM me and I'll make sure that it isn't.

radioman

状元
Not sure where this should go. But I am seeing other phpbb forums where they have feeds set so that programs like Pulse on the iPad will read the latest forum comments and update very nicely. Not sure if I am missing something, but not seeing how that is done with regard to Plecoforums. This would be simply for reading the latest. Comments need to be placed on the board itself.

Insights appreciated.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Our feeds are ATOM instead of RSS but they should be accessible - I've pulled them up in a couple of different feed reader apps myself. (plecoforums.com/feed.php)