New Practical Chinese Reader

hdejarne

秀才
Does anyone have the vocab from NPCR in a file? I'm using that book, and it would save me alot of time from having to input them all in.

johnh113

榜眼
which NPCR?

Dear Hdejarne,

Which NPCR? I have input the flashcards for NPCR4 and NPCR5. It looks like NPCR1,2,3 are on the flashcard exchange site.

John

hdejarne

秀才
Hey is there anyway I can get your flashcards for NPCR 4&5? I'm not quite that far yet, but I'm sure I could use them later?

Thanks

johnh113

榜眼
NPCR4,5 flashcards

Dear Hdejarne,

Yes, I'll post the NPCR4,5 flashcards as soon as I get a chance. I'm traveling right now, and it's a bit hectic.

John

johnh113

榜眼
NPCR4, NPCR5 flashcards

Dear Reader,

Here are the flashcards for NPCR4 and NPCR5. Two reservations:
1. If I couldn't find the word in one of our dictionaries, then I didn't create a user dictionary. This occurs most frequently for phrases.
2. Often, if a word has two characters, I will input that word, and both of the characters individually, unless I know that I have already input those individual characters.

Let me know if these work. These were output from a Palm.

John

Attachments

• NPCR5.PDB
    22.5 KB · Views: 2,574
  • NPCR4.PDB
    16.8 KB · Views: 3,014

jugdish

秀才
Appreciated

Thanks for posting those databases. They worked well. The way you created them (in the same order as the book) makes them easy to manage, too.

qwfwq

Hi, I was just looking at what's currently available at Flashcard Exchange, and it appears to be spotty and incomplete. If anyone could post their lists for New Practical Chinese Reader book 3 I would really appreciate it. And while I wouldn't use them, I'm sure others would it appreciate it if anyone could post books 1 and 2 as well.

ipsi

状元
"Shortly" obviously meaning several days later... Oops.

Anyway, I have posted them here: http://china.panlogicsoftware.com/ebooks.html, instructions and links can be found towards the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps people. I haven't gotten around to doing book 4 yet (it's just a bit too advanced. Don't really need it).

If you have queries or comments, post them here. :)

ipsi

状元
For those of you who can't import PDB files (I believe this includes WM users...), I've got johnh113's cards here, reposted as TXT files with UTF-8 encoding. No idea why you posted them in GB2312...

Anyway, instructions are simple - put them on your SD Card, open up Pleco, enter in the path to the file, and import. They're UTF-8 Text Files.

They also contain the pinyin as tone marks rather than numbers, but that's just how Pleco exports them. They also contain no definitions, so you'll need to have the dictionary you want associated with the definitions open when you import the files. I think it defaulted to CEDICT on mine (not entirely sure why).

I will be posting my set at some point, with the NPCR definitions, formatted for 2.0, and with the traditional headwords too :D.

EDIT: It's also missing words johnh113 couldn't find the the dictionary, so it's missing stuff like 孔乙己 (Who's a fairly important character in one of 鲁迅's stories, so it'd be good to know his name). But that was his choice :). It's not like it's missing much...

Attachments

• NPCR 4.txt
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,119
  • NPCR 5.txt
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,110

radioman

状元
Ipsi, et al.,

This is very interesting and convenient.

In the spirit of time efficiency, is there one of the stories that you think is just more interesting than another (personal preference/prioritization?) Also, as I am just starting to focus on Hanzi, is there one that is more beginning level?

My own thought was that I also would be looking for everyday type language (maybe these have that, maybe they do not), such as discussions in a soap opera, everyday spoken language, as opposed to "Shakespeare".

Any recommendations appreciated.

Ed

ipsi said:

Anyway, I have posted them here: http://china.panlogicsoftware.com/ebooks.html, instructions and links can be found towards the bottom of the page.

Hope that helps people. I haven't gotten around to doing book 4 yet (it's just a bit too advanced. Don't really need it).

radioman

状元
Ipsi, et al.,

This is very interesting and convenient.

In the spirit of time efficiency, is there one of the stories that you think is just more interesting than another (personal preference/prioritization?) Also, as I am just starting to focus on Hanzi, is there one that is more beginning level?

My own thought was that I also would be looking for everyday type language (maybe these have that, maybe they do not), such as discussions in a soap opera, everyday spoken language, as opposed to "Shakespeare".

Any recommendations appreciated.

Ed

ipsi said:

ipsi

状元
Sorry for taking so long to reply:

I assume you're referring to the Lu Xun stories and such? As far as I'm aware, none of them are really beginner-type material... I've read through some of the stuff from Yecao (Weeds), and it's tough going. Ignore the four great novels - three of them are in Classical, and the last one is still probably pretty hard to read.

Hope that helps a bit.

EDIT: I've also done Book 4 of the NPCR series, which I'll be posting soon. I've also fixed some issues with traditional characters and definitions which were very similar but not identical, etc.

gweipo

秀才
Hi
Can someone please post the pdb files for the New Practical Chinese reader 1, 2, 3.
I don't want to pay the subscription for the flashcard exchange, and can't seem to use / export to my plecodict without...

Thanks