New Dictionaries

Bakaichi

I've just recently downloaded Pleco and have been looking into the features/dictionaries, and trying to decide which to purchase. I wasn't aware that there would be new dictionaries coming out soon until I ended up at a post on this forum mentioning this. It took a bit of searching, but I finally dug up the post that talked about what kind of new dictionaries would be coming out in the new version.

This has left me with a few questions. Is there any downside to purchasing dictionaries now, as opposed to waiting on the new release? For example, if a new edition of a dictionary is added, will the upgrade to the new edition be free? Is it possible that there will be a dictionary bundle that would save me money as opposed to buying the dictionaries one by one now? Or perhaps, is there some reason that would make buying a particular dictionary before the update beneficial? I'm not necessarily in a rush to get the extra dictionaries, so I don't mind waiting a while if I'll be able to save some money.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Bakaichi said:
This has left me with a few questions. Is there any downside to purchasing dictionaries now, as opposed to waiting on the new release? For example, if a new edition of a dictionary is added, will the upgrade to the new edition be free? Is it possible that there will be a dictionary bundle that would save me money as opposed to buying the dictionaries one by one now? Or perhaps, is there some reason that would make buying a particular dictionary before the update beneficial? I'm not necessarily in a rush to get the extra dictionaries, so I don't mind waiting a while if I'll be able to save some money.

It's tough to give you a definitive answer on this since some aspects of the pricing are still up in the air. Most of the dictionaries we license include rights to future updated editions for free, but that's not true with every single one, so it's possible that in the future we might have to charge for an updated edition of a dictionary. As far as bundles, that really depends a lot on which of our new dictionaries you'd actually be interested in, and which of the old ones - if, for example, you want some sort of Chinese-Chinese dictionary but you find one of the new ones preferable to the one in the Complete bundle, you might pay less by waiting. Broadly speaking, the "bundle price" of a given dictionary is likely to stay pretty close to what it is now, but there may be specific bundles with a combination of dictionaries that you find more appealing than our current three. We are planning to offer some bundles that include dictionaries and nothing else, for people who already bought one of our all-addons-included bundles and want to acquire some new dictionaries at a discounted price without repurchasing audio / flashcards / etc, so that will probably mean a bit more dictionary-buying flexibility than we have now.

So if you're not sure and you don't mind waiting then you might as well wait, or purchase the Basic (or maybe Professional) bundle rather than Complete so as to have more money to spend on other dictionaries later on.

Bakaichi

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. It sounds like there won't be a whole lot of difference either way, so I suppose I'll just wait it out and see what the new offerings are. That is, unless I get the urge to spend some money in the meantime :)

Thanks again!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
goldyn chyld said:
Are you at liberty to say which new dictionaries will be released with the next update?

Unfortunately, a couple of the new dictionaries require publisher approval prior to release, and since there's always an outside chance that something might go wrong there (forcing us to yank that dictionary) I'd rather not announce anything that I'm going to have to pull back later.