Move all data files to ext partition

sthubbar

榜眼
Mike,

Is it possible to move all Pleco data files to an ext3 partition?

What I mean is that when I plug the USB cable into the phone and mount the SD Card, the FAT partition becomes unavailable to the OS. So any applications that have been moved there by something like apps2sd will be unusable.

I found the great program Links2SD which will move the programs to an ext partition, which I have done. It works like advertised. Only issue is that when the USB is connected and the SDCard is mounted and Pleco is loaded, it crashes immediately. I assume it is because there are other data and/or dictionary files that are still on the FAT partition and did not get moved over by Links2SD to the ext3 partition.

Is it possible to move all Pleco data to the ext3 partition so that even when the FAT paritition isn't available because it is mounted via USB, that Pleco will still work?

Thanks.

[BTW, if the USB is not connected Pleco seems to be working fine]

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar said:
Mike,

Is it possible to move all Pleco data files to an ext3 partition?

What I mean is that when I plug the USB cable into the phone and mount the SD Card, the FAT partition becomes unavailable to the OS. So any applications that have been moved there by something like apps2sd will be unusable.

I found the great program Links2SD which will move the programs to an ext partition, which I have done. It works like advertised. Only issue is that when the USB is connected and the SDCard is mounted and Pleco is loaded, it crashes immediately. I assume it is because there are other data and/or dictionary files that are still on the FAT partition and did not get moved over by Links2SD to the ext3 partition.

Is it possible to move all Pleco data to the ext3 partition so that even when the FAT paritition isn't available because it is mounted via USB, that Pleco will still work?

Should be - copy all of your Pleco data files (the entire Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files directory) to a location on that ext3 partition, then go into the Pleco Settings / General screen, scroll down to the bottom, set "File storage location" to "Custom" and in "Custom location" enter the full path to that relocated "files" directory. (including the "files" part) Force close Pleco via Settings / Applications, rename the "com.pleco.chinesesystem" directory in the original location to something else, then reopen Pleco and it should now point to the ext3 files. You can then delete the old directory.

The crash was probably happening because Pleco was still running in the background when you mounted your SD card on your computer, and reading files off of it - normally Android is supposed to kill any application that's using SD card files when the SD card is mounted on your computer, but perhaps Links2SD is interfering with that.

sthubbar

榜眼
Mike,

OK, I was able to find a way to access the ext3 partition from my PC and copy all the files over.

Any idea how to reference the ext3 partition?

I checked in /mnt and there doesn't seem to be anything in there.

The partition must be accessible somehow, since applications are being launched from there.

Thanks for any ideas.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar said:
Mike,

OK, I was able to find a way to access the ext3 partition from my PC and copy all the files over.

Any idea how to reference the ext3 partition?

I checked in /mnt and there doesn't seem to be anything in there.

The partition must be accessible somehow, since applications are being launched from there.

Thanks for any ideas.

Not sure... you could try contacting the creator of Links2SD and asking where the partition is, but if it's not in /mnt then I'm clueless... maybe actually in /mnt/sdcard somewhere? (a lot of devices put their external SD cards inside of the internal /mnt/sdcard directory)