More C-C Dictionaries, Please

feng

榜眼
mikelove said:
looks like something that would be extremely expensive to get digitized properly (particularly with all of those old forms), so it would probably be tough to justify the investment without a research grant or somesuch supporting it.
Especially since it has been in print for around forty years, and I wonder if the text is even in a computer, but if you do get a grant or something, then that time and money would actually be put to better use, IMHO, for a book with no text: 高明's《古文字類編》. It has numerous examples of characters from the Shang to the end of the Warring States, and adds the Shuowen form just for fun. It stops there, but lishu and caoshu can be added with fonts to have something basic. Since it came out in 2008 perhaps they have done much or all of the digitization. Look up is currently by stroke count in one of five separate lists of stroke type of the first stroke, not exactly a fast way to do things.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
feng said:
Especially since it has been in print for around forty years, and I wonder if the text is even in a computer, but if you do get a grant or something, then that time and money would actually be put to better use, IMHO, for a book with no text: 高明's《古文字類編》. It has numerous examples of characters from the Shang to the end of the Warring States, and adds the Shuowen form just for fun. It stops there, but lishu and caoshu can be added with fonts to have something basic. Since it came out in 2008 perhaps they have done much or all of the digitization. Look up is currently by stroke count in one of five separate lists of stroke type of the first stroke, not exactly a fast way to do things.

Interesting; I think after the current batch of pending dictionaries is done we're going to focus more on modern Chinese for our next round - there are a number of things we'd really like to do with that, and we also need to wait and see just how well all of the current stuff sells - but when our attention turns back to historical Chinese this certainly might be looking at.

feng

榜眼
Not sure if I should post here or under the "Dictionary Wishlist" thread. Maybe I'll list my favorite dictionaries in my signature(!).
How about 中文大辭典?http://ap6.pccu.edu.tw/Dictionary/ The website doesn't seem to work, but its existence suggests they actually typed in the old dictionary. I used it a little bit years ago (wasn't able to buy it at the time), so I am not very familiar with this dictionary.

On that note, here is something I have never seen, but if it is done right it would be a good addition since it is a very large Chinese dictionary and was done cooperatively between Taiwan and the PRC (and claims it worked in different words for the same thing in the PRC and Taiwan).
http://www.fjpph.com/_d273975267.htm from the PRC publisher.
and
http://www.eslite.com/product.aspx?pgid=1001116712200384
This has more information about it. Wunan, the Taiwanese publisher, has no information about it on the web, just lists it.