More C-C Dictionaries, Please

I'm adding my voice to the chorus of those calling for more C-C dictionaries. In particular, I think you should at least keep 《现代汉语规范词典》 updated (including replacing all the "?"s with real characters). Earlier today I posted a problem in the Chinese Language section of this forum that would never have been a problem if Pleco had been using the 2010 version of 《现代汉语规范词典》instead of the older version.

Pleco is losing its usefulness to me in general because of the lack of C-Cs. The only thing I ever use the E-Cs for is the example sentences (规范 usually lacks in that department). I'd gladly pay $20 to add 2-3 new C-C dictionaries. I'm probably not the only one.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
欧阳海 said:
I'm adding my voice to the chorus of those calling for more C-C dictionaries. In particular, I think you should at least keep 《现代汉语规范词典》 updated (including replacing all the "?"s with real characters). Earlier today I posted a problem in the Chinese Language section of this forum that would never have been a problem if Pleco had been using the 2010 version of 《现代汉语规范词典》instead of the older version.

To re-post my Chinese-Forums reply on that:

The ?s are indeed characters that aren't in standard Chinese encodings - we actually could display them using our stroke order / component / rare character database (which we licensed from Wenlin so it has crazy comprehensive character coverage), but since the original data doesn't map those ?s to usable code points, it would take a LOT of work to get them all linked up.

Which we would be wiling to do it if weren't for the fact that it is indeed an outdated edition - we've been waiting very patiently for that publisher to come through with a license amendment for the new version, but they're having some staffing issues over there lately (one poor lady seems to be stuck doing the work of 5 people) and we're not really a big enough customer to be a priority for them.

However, we've got about half a dozen other C-C dictionaries on tap for release later this spring, and while none of them are exactly equivalent to the GFCD in terms of size / scope (though we've started making inquiries about a few that are), there should be something in there to please almost everybody. And if we continue to fail at getting you guys the new edition of GFCD we'll probably do some sort of discount / upgrade offer for previous GFCD buyers to pick up another C-C title.

Wan

榜眼
Is there even the slightest of chances to see the 漢語大辭典 in Pleco one day? That would be the awesomest [sic] upgrade ever! You’d instantly win the bazillions of sinologists out there (like me) as customers… Please?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
zhouyi said:
Any news on more dictionaries, especially Classical Chinese. Do things look hopeful :?:

Classical Chinese is already licensed - it's been slightly delayed by some data conversion issues but should hopefully be out this summer. (we found too many ? or incorrect characters in our conversion, so we're having it redone, but it's taking quite a while - we're actually spending more money having it converted than we did licensing it in the first place)

Wan said:
Is there even the slightest of chances to see the 漢語大辭典 in Pleco one day? That would be the awesomest [sic] upgrade ever! You’d instantly win the bazillions of sinologists out there (like me) as customers… Please?

Quite possible, yes - we already have a relationship with that publisher for the aforementioned classical dictionary.

Wan

榜眼
mikelove said:
Quite possible, yes - we already have a relationship with that publisher for the aforementioned classical dictionary.
Very good news indeed! I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

feiren

I'd really like some more C-C dictionaries. Especially a good classical dictionary. 漢語大辭典 would be a dream come true.

feng

榜眼
[Edited a little, so quotes in other people's posts may not look the same]

Though it has only 50,000 words, probably my favorite C-C dictionary is 新編國語日報辭典 from Taiwan. This is not one of their kiddie deals. This is the standard in Taiwan. Any chance?[edit: not really necessary now since you have MoE's]

My favorite character dictionary is probably
現代詳解中文字典
if I don't include the first item above. It has Cantonese pronunciations as well and uses the Hong forms (which can differ from traditional forms in both Taiwan and the PRC).

This
http://www.amazon.cn/%E5%BD%93%E4%BB%A3 ... 903&sr=8-2
is a really good modern dictionary for the PRC and has 13,000+ characters and close to 90,000 words, much larger than most C-C dictionaries.
Had you thought of trying again for 現代漢語詞典?

And I too think think it is time for 漢語大詞典 and 漢語大字典(第二版)。I have them both in their full paper editions, but electronic versions would be better, especially for multi-volume sets like these.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
feng said:
Though it has less than 40,000 words, probably my favorite C-C dictionary is 新編國語日報辭典 from Taiwan. This is not one of their kiddie deals. This is the standard in Taiwan. Any chance?

I can certainly write to them - Far East and the MoE and the TLI have all turned us down but who knows, maybe these guys won't.

feng said:
My favorite character dictionary is probably
現代詳解中文字典
if I don't include the first item above.

In general I'm wary about a 字典 because I think we can already get most of that information from other sources in Pleco - is there any particular type of information you get from this that you can't get in our software now?

feng said:
This
http://www.amazon.cn/%E5%BD%93%E4%BB%A3 ... 903&sr=8-2
is a really good modern dictionary and has 13,000+ characters and close to 90,000 words, much larger than most C-C dictionaries.
Had you thought of trying again for 現代漢語詞典?

We'll try them, having a hard time getting our 规范 license extended to the new edition and this might be a sensible replacement. 現代漢語詞典 is a no-go because it's Commercial Press and they never license anything.

feng

榜眼
mikelove said:
In general I'm wary about a 字典 because I think we can already get most of that information from other sources in Pleco - is there any particular type of information you get from this that you can't get in our software now?
Understandable. If you could get Guoyu Ribao's (clear definitions, unlike PRC dictionaries), then this Hong Kong character dictionary would not be so necessary.

I am not a Plecoite yet due not only to my utter poverty but also to the fact that it doesn't offer some of the things I use most (and I have a product that will remain nameless which is still working, so I haven't felt the need to replace it). I am a potential customer :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
feng said:
I am not a Plecoite yet due not only to my utter poverty but also to the fact that it doesn't offer some of the things I use most (and I have a product that will remain nameless which is still working, so I haven't felt the need to replace it). I am a potential customer

Have you tried our free app yet? It has almost every feature that you'd find in any other paid Chinese dictionary on iOS or Android, the only significant exceptions being the ABC dictionary and stroke order diagrams (both of which we do offer but have to charge for). And a free copy of that Wei Dongya dictionary per my other post.

feng

榜眼
Sorry, I don't have one of those iThingies. I am using a purpose built machine from a Japanese company (which also lacks basically all the same things Pleco does and more), not because I don't really want to use Pleco (I do), but I bought it a few years ago in when I was in China and it does the job reasonably well. I think 2012 is the year for me to get a computer, an iPod/Pad, and then of course Pleco. Honestly, it sounds like a great product.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
feng said:
Sorry, I don't have one of those iThingies. I am using a purpose built machine from a Japanese company (which also lacks basically all the same things Pleco does and more), not because I don't really want to use Pleco (I do), but I bought it a few years ago in when I was in China and it does the job reasonably well. I think 2012 is the year for me to get a computer, an iPod/Pad, and then of course Pleco. Honestly, it sounds like a great product.

Ah, that explains it. The ancestors of those things were actually what inspired me to create Pleco in the first place :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jep507 said:
Any update on when we are going to see these new C-C dictionaries on Pleco?

Nothing new to report on that - we're continuing to make progress, but there are a lot of dictionaries and we're still wrapping up some things on the coding / design end too. After keeping people waiting this long, we'd rather take the time we need to do this properly than cut corners at the last minute just to get them out a tiny bit earlier.

feng

榜眼
How about《正中形音義綜合大字典》from 正中書局?
http://www.ccbc.com.tw/pro_detail.php?book_sn=532
It's the best first stop for any modern use character (has 7,500, not counting simplified or alternate forms) in terms of its history and getting a full range of pronunciations and definitions. It is the only such book I have ever seen that for every character will give you graphs from oracle bones through cursive script (oracle, bronze, stone drum, seal when available) which is one of the neatest features of the book. It is all in Chinese and not written in a 100% modern/easy style, so I realize that may limit its user base. It is the coolest dictionary, though.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
feng said:
It's the best first stop for any modern use character (has 7,500, not counting simplified or alternate forms) in terms of its history and getting a full range of pronunciations and definitions. It is the only such book I have ever seen that for every character it will give you graphs from oracle bones through cursive script (oracle, bronze, stone drum, seal when available) which is one of the neatest features of the book. It is all in Chinese and not written in a 100% modern/easy style, so I realize that may limit its user base. It is the coolest dictionary, though.

Looks interesting, but it also looks like something that would be extremely expensive to get digitized properly (particularly with all of those old forms), so it would probably be tough to justify the investment without a research grant or somesuch supporting it.