Manual (finally) updated for 2.4

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Updated instruction manual for 2.4.x is at:

http://pleco.com/anmanual/

Screenshots are all nice and pretty and Holo-themed, though there are some portions of the text that still need some work (we really need to hire a documentation guy, or at least contract out a rewrite to somebody who's better at this than a harried app developer).

The updated sections most likely to interest people here are:

HW60

状元
I found a description of the use of "@" only in the dictionary part, where @ can be used as a wildcard. In the forum you once wrote that @ as the first character of the pronunciation field of a flashcard helps to enter whatever non pinyin text, especially to enter Kana for japanese flashcards. This works thanks to the last updates almost perfectly. Is it an unofficial use of Pleco or is it documented somewhere?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
I found a description of the use of "@" only in the dictionary part, where @ can be used as a wildcard. In the forum you once wrote that @ as the first character of the pronunciation field of a flashcard helps to enter whatever non pinyin text, especially to enter Kana for japanese flashcards. This works thanks to the last updates almost perfectly. Is it an unofficial use of Pleco or is it documented somewhere?

It remains unofficial, basically because we don't want too many people making dictionary databases in that format when it's likely to be replaced by something better in the future.

nicholas.wright said:
Since I'm not always online, I'd like to see a pdf copy of the manual, formatted for both the computer and devices.

That should be coming as part of the new web design - right now our website is architected in a very primitive way that doesn't really allow for us to build content into lots of different formats with templates (as we'd need for a PDF version). However, since it comes in a small number of large files it should be relatively easy to convert to PDF from your favorite PDF conversion utility.