Low-End Competition

Entropy

榜眼
mikelove said:
Tricky since we've already got five tabs in Add-ons and since many of the demos don't lend themselves to being accessed that way (with dictionaries you really want to go back to the main search screen). How about my earlier idea of enabling demos of the non-dictionary add-ons through the Paid add-ons tab (e.g. when you're downloading the demo of a bundle anyway) and then accessing them in the actual software locations where they'd normally be?

I'm confused. I don't want to *run* the apps from a demo tab, I merely want the tab to provide information that demos exist and how they're accessed. I think hiding them behind "paid" makes them hard to find.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Entropy said:
I'm confused. I don't want to *run* the apps from a demo tab, I merely want the tab to provide information that demos exist and how they're accessed. I think hiding them behind "paid" makes them hard to find.

Ah, that makes sense. But it's still difficult to find a place for it in either case - probably have to consolidate Paid/Free or something like that. Or just to pop up a helpful message the first time they open Add-ons.

Entropy

榜眼
mikelove said:
probably have to consolidate Paid/Free or something like that. Or just to pop up a helpful message the first time they open Add-ons.

Or maybe just include them as "demos" at the beginning of the "free" listing.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Entropy said:
Or maybe just include them as "demos" at the beginning of the "free" listing.

For 2.2 we're just putting a "TAP FOR DEMO" message in each Paid section header, and moving the "Try Handwriting Now" button to the place where the "Download Demo" button would otherwise be - stopgap measures but they make things more consistent at least.

Regarding other dictionaries, I have pleco checking 4 dictionnaries but would like to delete one of them, the unihan, which is useless. No color coding of tones, one word definitions, strange repeats of words. Like I say, I want to delete it and put the saved mb's to better use but I can not figure out how. Is it possible?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
profamericain said:
Regarding other dictionaries, I have pleco checking 4 dictionnaries but would like to delete one of them, the unihan, which is useless. No color coding of tones, one word definitions, strange repeats of words. Like I say, I want to delete it and put the saved mb's to better use but I can not figure out how. Is it possible?

It's built-in, since it also powers the character info Details tab and is used as a fallback dictionary for rare characters. And a few other things, like finding the most common pronunciation for a particular character so we can choose the correct default in the document reader. So there's no way to delete it; you can, however, turn it off by going it into Settings / Manage Dicts / Unihan and turning off all of the Settings options.