Losing position in reader

juang

秀才
Hi,

I have a large book in EPUB format that I read in the reader, I have noticed that about once a day it might lose the position and start again at the beginning of the chapter. Do you know where this might be? Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you on an iPad or an iPhone? What versions of Pleco and of iOS? And how large is it? (how many chapters?)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No obvious sources of problems there, unfortunately. Have you noticed any particular situation that tends to lead to this happening? Is it always the first time you open the reader on a particular day, for example, or always after you've exited Pleco or rotated your screen or opened some specific other app or switched into split screen mode or switched into dark mode, anything like that?

We'll see if we can manage to reproduce this here, but otherwise we just have to wait + hope enough people report similar problems that we can triangulate it.

juang

秀才
I haven't noticed any patterns. I don't use split screen mode, and I tried to reproduce it by exiting the pleco app. Would you like me to send you the epub I'm using? It happens fairly frequently.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sure, if you don't mind doing that we can certainly take a look - off the top of my head I can't think of any technical reason why a particular EPUB would make a difference here but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks. Not seeing anything weird about this so far - seems to be a pretty normal ebook, opens and retains its position fine for me. So whatever this is is either extremely rare or particular to your device in some way. Again, hopefully we'll see some other reports of this issue soon so we can triangulate the problem - rare intermittent bugs are pretty much the worst kind to try to get a handle on, unfortunately.

Shun

状元
Hello juang and Mike,

Might this have happened because @juang sometimes unwittingly touched the title area of the iPad's screen, in which case the Reader quickly jumps back to the top? One would see a quick scrolling animation in that case, though.

It may be desirable to have another option in Settings which disables this iOS "jump-to-the-top" feature, because about 90% of the time it does that for me, it was unintentional. This would be because with Pleco, one tends to stay inside long lists or texts for much longer than with other apps.

Cheers,

Shun

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

8+ year plus user of Pleco here ( both Android and iOS ). I'm currently also encountering the described problem where the reader resets to the beginning of the chapter on iOS. This is the only problem I'm facing in an otherwise perfect reader app.

Would you know if anything is being planned to address this

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, but it's required us to, essentially, write our own HTML engine (or most of one - we were able to adapt open-source code to do a lot of the HTML/CSS parsing for us) which is why it's taking so long.

In general for our current app we strongly recommend taking whatever ebook you have and converting it to plaintext (e.g. with https://calibre-ebook.com/), which should make it remember + restore its place much more reliably.