Lookup in Pleco from any app?

In iOS settings/general/dictionary there's a bunch of dictionaries to select for lookup from any app. Wouldn't it be great if Pleco were there? Working in Chinese in other apps, many times I find myself wanting to jump straight to the Pleco dictionary entry instead of copying, launching Pleco, pasting and searching.

Version 4 of Pleco is supposed to allow you to use the Share Sheet to send selection to Pleco. In the mean time I’ve been using the new Shortcuts feature in iOS 12. I’ve created a shortcut called “Send to Pleco” which sends the selected text to Pleco from a Share Sheet.

1538328146745.png

Hi Alex,

thanks for the tip. Am I doing something wrong if there's only "Shortcuts" available in the Share Sheet? I can choose "Shortcuts" and then tap on the "Look up in Pleco" script button, but I can't add "Look up in Pleco" directly to the Share Sheet. (I also looked under "More" in both rows.) Here is my script setting:

shortcut pleco.png safari share sheet.png

Regards,

Shun

Am I doing something wrong if there's only "Shortcuts" available in the Share Sheet? I can choose "Shortcuts" and then tap on the "Look up in Pleco" script button, but I can't add "Look up in Pleco" directly to the Share Sheet.
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain it clearly. Yes, there is only Shortcuts available. Then you can select "Look up in Pleco".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yep, no way to have a dedicated button without an App Extension, and supporting App Extensions has required us to totally overhaul our app.

Version 4 of Pleco is supposed to allow you to use the Share Sheet to send selection to Pleco. In the mean time I’ve been using the new Shortcuts feature in iOS 12. I’ve created a shortcut called “Send to Pleco” which sends the selected text to Pleco from a Share Sheet.
[snip]
Hi Alex,

I have no idea how to find what you just did.

Would it be possible for you to walk me through the steps to find this so I can set it up on my own phone?

Would it be possible for you to walk me through the steps to find this so I can set it up on my own phone?
  1. You need download the Shortcuts app first from the App Store https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shortcuts/id915249334?mt=8
  2. Open the Shortcuts app and select Create Shortcut:
    1538452184007.png
  3. Click on the Search field and select Content Types->Documents
    1538452453809.png
  4. Scroll down and select Files->Open In...
    1538452566796.png
  5. Turn of the Show Open in Menu slider and select Choose
    1538453555780.png
  6. Select Pleco as the App
  7. Press the controls selector
    1538453873854.png
  8. Turn on Show in Share Sheet and change the Accepted types to Rich Text, Text. Here you can also change the Name of the shortcut and it's Icon
    1538454147749.png
  9. Now press Done a few times and you should see something like this
    1538454382454.png
  10. You can now highlight text in an app and select Share... You will be presented with a Share Sheet and a list of applications. Select Shortcuts and then you will be presented with a list of Shortcuts to run. Select your Send Text To Pleco shortcut. If you don't see Shortcuts you can select More and add it to the list.
    1538454707476.png

You need download the Shortcuts app first from the App Store

and that explains why I couldn't find anything on my phone.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I can't wait to try it!