Long/Short Form simplification flash card lists?

Dan_78cj5

举人
Up to now my study of Chinese has been primarily PRC focused, but the qualification test I take annually (DLPT - Defense Language Proficiency Test) just recently added long form into the exam.

Does anyone have any good flash-card sets of commonly simplified characters that I can review in long form? I know I can just set Pleco to long form and review the 10000s of cards I have in long form, but as most would not be different this is very inefficient.

If anyone has had to learn short form after starting with long form or visa-versa the list should be the same, just switching the setting in Pleco. This should be common enough that there is something out there already.

Here's a GREAT website for this, but I'd like to get this on my Palm.
http://www.language.berkeley.edu/fanjian/start.html

Any help?
Thanks
Dan

gato

状元
Instead of memorizing thousands of traditional characters, I would recommend that you focus on the radicals and the exceptional characters on the list below. There should only be about 400 characters to memorize. Aside from rote memorization, I would start practicing reading texts that use the traditional form.

http://www.stlcls.org/s-words/Simplified_word.htm
简化字总表

kudra

秀才
don't know if this will work, but ....
If it is possible to save the list as simplified, and then save it as traditional, under a different name, use text (utf8)

Then if you have access to a unix system you might be able to do a file diff on the 2 files. This should flag the characters that are different.

If you are running on windows, you can get access to unix by installing mingw for example.

Another approach, if you don't want to bother with unix is to read the 2 lists into 2 excel columns. Then in a 3rd column compute true or false of whether
they match, then filter on the false ones.

Again, I have not tried this, and I'm not sure what will happen if you try to get the utf-8 text read into excel.

also, I think A New Text for Modern China has the same essays printed twice, trad and simp, so you could easily note the ones that are not obvious.

good luck.

gato

状元
Then if you have access to a unix system you might be able to do a file diff on the 2 files. This should flag the characters that are different.

If you are running on windows, you can get access to unix by installing mingw for example.

Another approach, if you don't want to bother with unix is to read the 2 lists into 2 excel columns. Then in a 3rd column compute true or false of whether
they match, then filter on the false ones.

Again, I have not tried this, and I'm not sure what will happen if you try to get the utf-8 text read into excel.
Or do a "text comparison" in MS Word, if you don't know your unix from your xenix. Hehe.

jiacheng

榜眼
Here is a list I have created for studying the associations between traditional and simplified forms. The list is not perfect, so if you have some improvements, feel free to post them. Table one is a list of the 350 non-recurrent simplifications. Table 2 Characters is a list of 132 recurrent character simplifications. and Table 2 Radicals is a list of 14 recurrent radicals. For the recurrent forms, these are generalized simplifications can be applied when the character occurs in standalone form, or as a component of a character.

Probably not necessary to do table 3, as that is just a list of the Table 2 simplifications applied.

I have also not yet created the appendices for the 39 simplified variants or 35 place names, but I plan to do those in the near future.

Attachments

• t1.txt
    7.7 KB · Views: 815
  • t2c.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 795
  • t2r.txt
    349 bytes · Views: 877

jiacheng

榜眼
Tips for these flashcards:

When you import these, you should not link them against any dictionaries. I have just included an x for pronunciation, but i'm not sure that's the best way to do it, but for me, it's more of a visual association, so that's how i created them.

So far, I have been using these in self score mode with the 'force character set' option, to only show only one form. I then attempt to write the other form, then reveal and compare.

A note on the radical table. Not all of the simplified radicals exist in the font, so for the ones that didn't exist, I have chosen characters that seem to best represent the radical simplification.