LF countries, cities, mountains, rivers,... flashcards

Ria

Hello, I am looking for existing flashcards for the Chinese names of countries, cities, mountains, rivers,... and other such geographical landmarks.
I need the Americas as well as Europe, but I am happy to learn about the other continents as well.

Thank you for sharing! I plan on creating and sharing all those resources that do not yet exist.

Shun

状元
Hello, Ria,

I like this idea. Shall I provide flashcards for Western Europe (maybe 200 to 300 flashcards)?

I also found a freely available, but very restrictively licensed flashcard deck for Chinese provinces and provincial capitals for Anki. Those flashcards come with maps for each province, something Pleco will be capable of later with version 4.0. Because one can't copy from Anki due to the license restrictions, I would suggest that Pleco users create their own flashcards in order to retain full ownership over them. Later on, we might be able to include automatically generated maps with colored dot marks for each geographical location, generated with the help of a Python package.

Cheers,

Shun

Last edited:

Ria

Hello Shun,

apologies for the late reply!

If you could share those, I would be much obliged!

Ah, if there are licensing issues, then I will make my own. I have a few hastily made ones with information mostly sourced from Wikipedia, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of what information to include. Some of those flashcards look rather packed.
E. g. should I include length and branches when making a flashcard for a river?

And I am thrilled to hear that Pleco will start supporting picture flashcards!

Thank you for your help,
Ria

Shun

状元
Hello Ria,

no problem! I think it wouldn't be worth including too much extra information about the landmarks that could easily be looked up, since the focus for me should be on getting a feeling for how Chinese reproduces a Western place name. This of course can happen either by phonetic transcription (in maybe 90% of cases), or by approximating its meaning, or using a mixture of the two.

So, have a look at my European Flashcards, with an emphasis on Western Europe and places I know/have already heard of. To make adding additional place names easier, I also attach a PDF document from which you can easily see by category which places have already been included in the list and which ones are still missing.

Enjoy,

Shun

Attachments

• Europe Places-Rivers-Mountains.txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Flashcards Placename Contribution for Europe.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited: