Learning to read, write and pronounce HSK levels flashcards quickly and efficiently

Xiaofei

Hi all!
Since I've been using Pleco quite a while now and recently bought the whole pleco package I want to share my method for memorizing the HSK flashcards (or any other set of cards for that matter).

When I started to study flashcards with the SRS I faced the problem of learning to read and write with two separate score files. I wanted to separate the two because I think it's easier to rembere the meaning and pronunciation of a character than actually reproducing it. Problem is, when you start two different testing profiles for reading and writing for HSK1 for example both test sessions start with different vocabulary, but I want to learn how to write a character only after I have learend to read it. So I will just describe my procedure:

Start a SRS session with HSK1 as card category and its own scorefile called reading. I limit the maximum number of unlearned cards to 10. This way, if I don't remember a new card the next day I won't have to learn even more cards that day. This way it's realistic for me to keep up with my vocab at a moderate leraning pace. If for some reason I already knew a newly introduced card I start the test session again after the first one is completed and I will be presented an additional flashcard because the one I already knew didn't count as unlearned. Basically I repeatedly restart the test session until I'm not presented any more vocabulary. ( I hope I could make myself clear here ;) )

After that I switch to the organize cards tab and search for all flashcards that are in category HSK1 and have been reviewed at least once in the score file reading. Then I copy thoseflashcards into a new category called HSK1 writing.

Set up a SRS test for writing based on that new category and create a new score file called writing. This way you're only presented cards for the writing test you already know (or at least seen once and have them in your learning rotation). In the test settings check reveal parts separately, because sometimes it's unclear from the definition which character you are supposed to draw. For the writing test I let pleco show me the definition, then I say the word and write it. If I'm unsure what character pleco is looking for I reveal pinyin first. After revealing the card I check for correct pronunciation (including tone of course) and writing including stroke order and self grade the card accordingly. (I seldomly know how to write a word but not how to pronounce it, so I don't need a third testing profile in order to separate writing from translating from english to chinese)
You only have to rember to repeat the search and copy procedure after your reading SRS test.

In addition to this method I use two extra test profiles for reading and writing, which exist for the initial learning of new flashcards. Card category is again HSK1 respectively HSK1 writing. Test type self graded and the following card filters:
- Time filter: include if first reviews before "some date before you started first studying.
- Score filter: start 0 end 200 (If you use plecos standard scoring system)
- History filter: include if not correct in row is >=3

In the scoring settings select stats only and the respective score file (reading or writing)

This test scenario can be used as soon as you did your first SRS reading or writing test. You do this test over and over until no more cards show up. Afterwards you will have reviewed all new cards repeatedly until you got them right 3 times.

I spent quite some time to develop this learning method and I hope that this will help someone or inspire them for tweaking their own learning methods. Since pleco's flashcard tool is soo powerful I was a little lost in the beginning and the forum was a big help, so I hope I can give something back.

If my description is hard to follow or anything is unclear please tell me and I will respond (maybe)

@devs
Awesome work with this app. The only one I ever paid for and especially that much. But worth every penny!!! Thank you!