I wasn't able to read your forum on "Suggested PDA" before I bought
Palm TX. You have noted that Palm TX has some problems running
Pleco. Are the problems significant enough that it will just frustrate us
to use your software or the bugs you found are tolerable until the fix
are available?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well, the main problem involves the old Motorola handwriting recognizer, which is only used in copies of PlecoDict distributed as a free upgrade from our older Oxford E&C software, so unless you received PlecoDict as a free upgrade from Oxford E&C the software should run reasonably smoothly.

There have also been a few reports of issues with the flashcard system, but at the moment we're not even confident that these are specific to the TX, so it's unlikely they'd be severe enough to prevent you from being able to use the software.

I've got a TX on the way. I don't have any problem ponying up the 10$ for the new handwriting recognizer if I haven't already.

But I haven't seen the reference to the flashcard problems. Where was that issue discussed?

maockiwi

TX crashing

I bought the complete package recently and downloaded onto my new TX, everything seemed fine until two days later.
Now it constantly crashes when I try to open the program on my TX.
This is not an upgrade from a free version etc. Its the demo version unlocked.
Please let me know when the fix is due. I seem to have wasted $119

lmcjipo

榜眼
My friend saw me using the current version of PlecoDict (v 1.0.3) on my Treo 650 and he was amazed by it. However, he doesn't want to get a Treo 650. He saw a good deal on a TX and asked me about the TX model as well as PlecoDict being able to run on a TX.

I did a search on the forums and came across some reported problems with the TX particularly PlecoDict's flashcard system and the TX. I also came across the postings that said that the problems with PlecoDict and the TX were addressed in version 1.0.3.

I told him that the TX has a lot more internal memory than my Treo 650 which is very good considering that I'm now what I consider "low" on internal memory on my Treo 650 (I have about 4MB RAM remaining which causes some problems when I try to run certain applications off the SD memory card but not PlecoDict).

Any opinions about the TX model itself and/or using it with PlecoDict?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We have one for testing, but I haven't actually played with it much - it seems to work pretty well, though, and the WiFi is quite convenient, and now that we've fixed the bugs we list it as one of our recommened models on http://www.pleco.com/whichpda.html. (though we didn't exactly have a lot of other choices - the only other high-end non-smartphone Palm makes is the LifeDrive and that has all sorts of problems) The only TX-related problem reports we've gotten since releasing the 1.0.3 update involve people who didn't follow the warning about upgrading their handwriting recognizer. (a warning which we're probably going to add some teeth to in 1.0.4 by actually disabling it until you upgrade)

Jane

Thinking about a T/X?

I have been using Pleco on T/X for well over a month now and I absolutely love it. I had been using pleco on the treo, loved the application, but found the screen a bit small. Also, I don't always carry around my treo. I slurged on a T/X for the bigger screen and for the wireless and I am now never without pleco and T/X. The characters in pleco look great on the screen. No bugs in the application whatsoever. I did download the updated release with the T/X bugs worked out, so didn't have to go through the update process. But not a single issue. So if you are thinking about buying a T/X and one of the motivating reasons is the Pleco application -- go for it.