Jukuu examples

Rvzy

秀才
This idea may not be possible. I'm not sure on the licensing for this, but MDBG pulls example sentences from jukuu, which are typically much more idiomatic than what you find in dictionary examples.

http://www.jukuu.com/search.php?q=举止

I personally use it to find better examples for my Anki flashcards. I'd absolutely pay for this as a Pleco add-on.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Their 'collaboration' page suggests that they're happy to be linked to / embedded, but not in the business of licensing out their data for offline use. So if we were going to support them I think it would probably be via an optional button to pop up a web browser page with results from their site.

I don't think this is something we could charge for because absent an offline database, we're not in a position to ensure that it remains online and available - if they go offline one day or get blocked or whatever we'd have a lot of angry customers to contend with.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually, it occurs to me that we could probably build something like jukuu (et al) ourselves - doesn't take much more than a web crawler and a Google Translate API key, really. We have enough users that we could even do a pretty good job on the curation / voting aspect of it.

Shun

状元
I think that's a nice idea! Then the next step could be to make contextual sentence flashcards, grouped by HSK level, automatically from the harvested and user-reviewed sentences.