iTunes Account conflict

iphneusr

秀才
I originally had a personal email and a mobile me (iCloud) email address. I used to use my personal address for iTunes, I used that account for buying pleco dict and have already purchased many add-ons.

I have now switched over to using my iCloud account for everything, my phone now makes purchases and syncs up my calendar and everything using my iCloud account.

Now when I try to buy another add on to pleco it complains that I do not own pleco and hence I am not allowed to purchase the add on.

My iPhone says that if I switch accounts on my phone my phone gets locked to that account for 90 days, so I can't switch back to the old account just to make the purchase. How do you get around this!! its very frustrating!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
iphneusr said:
I originally had a personal email and a mobile me (iCloud) email address. I used to use my personal address for iTunes, I used that account for buying pleco dict and have already purchased many add-ons.

I have now switched over to using my iCloud account for everything, my phone now makes purchases and syncs up my calendar and everything using my iCloud account.

Now when I try to buy another add on to pleco it complains that I do not own pleco and hence I am not allowed to purchase the add on.

My iPhone says that if I switch accounts on my phone my phone gets locked to that account for 90 days, so I can't switch back to the old account just to make the purchase. How do you get around this!! its very frustrating!!

If you delete and re-download Pleco, that should tie it to the correct account. However, note that you'd then need to be able to log on to both of these accounts anytime you wanted to restore these purchases on a new device, which basically makes it impossible to efficiently restore purchases when you change phones - unfortunately, the only way to fix this is to stick to a single iTunes account for all of your purchases. (we think it's a terrible policy too, but there's nothing we can do about it since it's all happening on Apple's end)

iphneusr

秀才
So I tried deleting and reinstalling, and now I cant install any of the add ons at all!

So just to be clear I understand this correctly, you are saying that I have to either:

1) instead of using my iCloud account (@me.com) which I have owned for many years and is now hooked into my phone, I instead have to switch my phone back to my old unused email address, or
2) re purchase all the add ons?

I have opened a ticket with Apple as well to see if there are any other options.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
iphneusr said:
So I tried deleting and reinstalling, and now I cant install any of the add ons at all!

So just to be clear I understand this correctly, you are saying that I have to either:

1) instead of using my iCloud account (@me.com) which I have owned for many years and is now hooked into my phone, I instead have to switch my phone back to my old unused email address, or
2) re purchase all the add ons?

I have opened a ticket with Apple as well to see if there are any other options.

We can certainly help you restore your old add-ons on your old device - would you please PM me (or email support) with your iPhone's "UDID"? You can get that from the "Contact Support" command in "Settings."

iphneusr

秀才
Thanks, I have given it another go today, and I have worked out a way to restore my existing purchases. The trick that you don't click "Restore iTunes purchases", instead you find and tap the "Download All" table cell under the "Paid" section. (Im not sure why that works differently, but it does).

I still can't purchase new dictionaries, as it still says "You must purchase the app that this item is for before you can purchase the item". If I work out a way I will be sure to post back here.

Thanks!