it's the OS and/or the CPU?

alexxx

秀才
sorry if I keep on posting harware questions, but I'm utterly confused about what to buy - although the thing I'm not confused is that I want it to run Plecodict - and version 2 too.

After having almost decided for a PDA (my last question) I'm switching again towards a phone, for the sake of not having to carry with me tons of different gadgets. And of course now I'm confused abot what to buy.

I hear good things in the forum about e.g. the HTC kaiser, but what about the other products? So I'm wondering if it could be a good thing for the administrators to publish a user-editable table (similar in spirit to the Wine app database http://appdb.winehq.org/) where one could search a given model and read about success/failure stories.

However, waiting for it, a basic question: for the phone to run Pleco well, I understood it is mainly an OS problem, right? I.e., window mobile v.5 or 6. I'm asking because I was considering the HTC Touch Viva 280 or the Glofiish X650 - which I didnt see reviewed here, but since they suppowrt WM6.1 that shouldn be a problem - or I'm terribly wrong???

Last question - I didnt understand if a keyboard is necessary or not: these 2 models do not have it.

thanks to everybody...

alessandro

ipsi

状元
As far as I understand it, the minimum requirements are WM 2003, WM 5 or WM 6/6.1 and a touchscreen. A keyboard isn't necessary, as both of those models should provide an on-screen keyboard (and Pleco provides its own in any event). I think there's a few people out there using the HTC Touch (older, pre-Viva model), so that shouldn't present a problem.

About the only thing that concerns me with regards to the Viva is the processor - 201MHz seems a little slow... With regards to the X650, 64MB RAM is a little on the low side, so you may want to wait for more people to weigh in before deciding. However, they should both work fine with Pleco 1/2.

alexxx

秀才
thank you!
At the end I needed to decide fast, and I choose the Glofiish M800 - it was on offer at a lower price, plus it has a sliding keyboard - damn it too has just 64MB...

I'll let you know how it works.

Alessandro

bwp

One weigh-in on the Touch Viva: I've had a Viva (bought in Shanghai as a Dopod T2222) for a week now. Running the beta version of Pleco 2.0, Chinese version of Windows Mobile 6.1.
* very slight lag launching or switching to Pleco
* so far no stability issues
* the bezel around the screen is annoying for finger use
* Touch Flo 2D graphically nice
Overall very happy -- the Viva is a HUGE improvement over the Palm 680 it replaces and the processor is entirely up to the modest tasks I am throwing at it.