Issue with getting the “hand” key recognised when handwriting characters

Aegil

Hello to all,

I am always very impressed by the handwriting recognition programme, which deciphers so easily what I write.

However, it usually fails to pick up the “hand” key, for example in: 担

It usually takes me quite a few trials and errors before the system gets it. I wonder what I am doing wrong and if someone would have tips about how to write that key properly so that the recognition system understands my handwriting.

Shun

状元
Hello Aegil,

did you draw the lower horizontal stroke in the hand radical from right to left (top to bottom) or from left to right (bottom to top)? The proper way would be from left to right/bottom to top. I once had a similar problem with the water 三点水 radical. There, the stroke at the bottom should also be drawn from bottom to top.

The handwriting recognizer is tolerant about many things like stroke order, but not really about stroke direction. You can always verify the right stroke directions in the STROKE tab.

Hope this helps,

Shun

Aegil

Hello Shun,

Thank you so much for your prompt answer and it seems that your suggestion made the trick! I was writing the two horizontal bars from the “hand” key from left to right (probably because it feels more natural for me as I am left-handed) instead of right to left.

Thanks a lot again and have a nice Sunday :)

pdwalker

状元
The handwriting recognizer is tolerant about many things like stroke order, but not really about stroke direction.

This is not always true. Sometimes it doesn't even care about the stroke direction.

However, the first time I tried to find 千, it took me almost an hour to get it recognized correctly. (to be fair, I didn't know any Chinese or pinyin at that point)

Shun

状元
Yes, maybe I worded it too categorically. I just entered 法 with reversed stroke order and somewhat reversed stroke direction, and it was still recognized. With completely reversed stroke direction, it wasn’t. So „stroke direction matters more than stroke order“ may be the right way of putting it.

Last edited: