Is there a possibility of introducing 汉语大字典 and 辞海 6e (latest version)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hanyu da zidian is not doable for data reasons, it seems - they don't have a digital text version as far as I know (too many rare characters) and the cost of digitizing it ourselves would be staggering.

Cihai is possibly gettable but we're not sure if it would offer enough advantages over a dump of Chinese Wikipedia to be worth offering.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I think Hanyu da zidian should have a digitalized version as it has been published not very earlier. And, a digitalized version can facilitate the printing work.

Compared to Chinese Wikipedia, Cihai is a more authoritative and concise encyclopaedia complement to common general dictionaries.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've seen scanned versions but not one with digital text - would be very difficult due to all of those rare characters.

Wikipedia is pretty authoritative these days, and conciseness doesn't really concern us with a digital product.

zhouyi

秀才
I just wanted to point out that there is a very limited version of more than 3000 characters of the Hanyu da cidian online here-

http://words.sinica.edu.tw/sou/dictionary.html

For other characters available on Pleco, by clicking on the gear next to the UNI for unicode and selecting "HANYU" in add new in the customize fields the number for the dictionary can be displayed allowing for easy looking up of the bookshelf.

About Wikipedia, I often find it useful but often find Chinese articles in Baidu Encyclopedia to be useful too and sometimes more so than Wikipedia. I suggest Pleco consider also adding Baidu Baike if possible.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Interesting, thanks.

Baidu Baike sadly isn't available to freely download like Wikipedia is.

I just wanted to point out that there is a very limited version of more than 3000 characters of the Hanyu da cidian online here-

http://words.sinica.edu.tw/sou/dictionary.html

For other characters available on Pleco, by clicking on the gear next to the UNI for unicode and selecting "HANYU" in add new in the customize fields the number for the dictionary can be displayed allowing for easy looking up of the bookshelf.

About Wikipedia, I often find it useful but often find Chinese articles in Baidu Encyclopedia to be useful too and sometimes more so than Wikipedia. I suggest Pleco consider also adding Baidu Baike if possible.

Baidu Baike is a jumble of unclear sources and often unreliable compared to Wikipedia, except that it has relatively newer localized data like Chinese Geography and Politics.

zhouyi

秀才
In my post I meant Hanyu da zidian, also the Ciahi # is also in the unicode data on Pleco.

If Baidu Baike is not downloadable, what if Pleco had a web page opening feature? I often copy entire pages of Chinese to read with the clipboard feature of Pleco Reader.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wiktionary is possible, yes.

We're doing a massive overhaul of our dictionary data formats for 4.0, so while we're still launching some new dictionaries before then, anything with massively complicated formatting requirements like Wikipedia / Wiktionary is probably going to have to wait until after that update.

DavidMars

进士
I ran across this old thread today. I use Kiwix on iOS to carry an offline English copy of Wikipedia with me, including photos, but not including video. Other platforms are supported. About 80 GB for the full English language download. Kiwix and the downloads are free, the Chinese downloads are here https://wiki.kiwix.org/wiki/Content_in_all_languages/zh-cn but you have to scroll way down, the language is sorted as zh. 16 GB gets you the entire body of Chinese Wikipedia, it gets updated every month or so. Subsets are also available. Presumably Shortcuts could provide some functionality with Pleco.
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.45.44 AM.png

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - I think we'd probably mostly focus on Wiktionary rather than Wikipedia, at least initially, but ultimately it's the same format.