iPod Touch OS 4.2.1

Hi There.
Is there a way I would be able to get the Pleco app for my iPod Touch (2nd generation with OS 4.2.1)?
I tried using the app store, but receive an error that in need atleast OS 4.3
Thanks for your help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
chinesewarrior said:
Hi There.
Is there a way I would be able to get the Pleco app for my iPod Touch (2nd generation with OS 4.2.1)?
I tried using the app store, but receive an error that in need atleast OS 5. Thanks!

I'm afraid not - we had to update the minimum requirement to 4.3 in order to support the new iPhone 5. You could write to Apple at iTunesStoreSupport@apple.com and see if they can re-deliver it for you, though - they certainly do keep old version backups around for the sake of iCloud users restoring their systems.

Hi Mike, I did what you suggested and e-mailed iTunes support and asked if they had an older version they could dig up, the response I was given was they don't keep back ups or old versions. Does this mean there's nothing else that can be done and I'm out of luck? Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
chinesewarrior said:
Hi Mike, I did what you suggested and e-mailed iTunes support and asked if they had an older version they could dig up, the response I was given was they don't keep back ups or old versions. Does this mean there's nothing else that can be done and I'm out of luck? Thanks.

Well they're lying because they definitely do keep backups of old versions, but if they're not willing to restore it to you then that does make things more difficult... even if we were able to get the IPA installed through a non-Apple-approved route there'd still be no way for you to purchase any add-ons without their system. So it seems like you are indeed out of luck - very sorry about that.

CTurner

Sure wish I had looked at the change in required OS software. I'm in the same boat, too and can't use Pleco for my studies. :(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
CTurner said:
Sure wish I had looked at the change in required OS software. I'm in the same boat, too and can't use Pleco for my studies. :(

Sorry about that - did it actually let you download that update within the App Store app? It's supposed to just put up an error message and refuse to download it - in fact it shouldn't even download it in iTunes on your computer if you don't have a compatible device. (this is part of why we felt confident that we could start requiring 4.3 [not that we had a choice], it's supposed to be impossible for people with earlier versions to end up with something they can't use)

We've been trying to come up with a solution for this that wouldn't require a tremendous amount of programming time or get us into trouble with Apple - the best we've come up with so far is to distribute the old version to users with jailbroken devices as part of something that we'll officially call a "beta test" (since Apple seems to be OK with our doing that in that scenario). So if you or anybody else affected by this wants to get in on that, send me an email and I'll let you know if we manage to get that working.

CTurner

Thanks very much, Mike. No, there was no message nor was there a refusal to the update when I, rather automatically I admit, updated. Why would I hesitate to my upgrade for Pleco?! :wink:

Anyway, I will email.

Best--