iPhone Timetable

enimeni

I also can't wait for the iPhone version coming out, so i can finally completely switch to the iPhone. Where can I sign in for a beta test? ;-)

Lurks

探花
Hrm requires 3.0? I wasn't really planning on upgrading my iPod since it doesn't seem to add anything new (that I want) and it costs $10 (which seems mean spirited of Apple).

Darn you Mike, you're making me feed the Apple machine!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Lots of reasons for that - among other things we think it'll get us around Apple's fun little reject-dictionary-apps-because-they-contain-swear-words policy since 3.0 includes a Parental Controls feature; we can flag Pleco as XXX ADULTS ONLY XXX (at the expense of losing a few 12-year-old customers, I suppose) and keep our colorful language intact - censorship sucks.

Lurks

探花
Okay. Well, honestly without any malice here, since you're launching without flashcards it's killed any motivation to move anyway. I do an hour a day of flashcards so it's pretty critical.

Which means in reality I need to go PDA for Pleco. Not a huge hardship I think, I really like the state of Pleco now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's reasonable - flashcards on iPhone should quite definitively rock once they're ready, so it'll be worth the wait, and in the meantime PDAs are nice and cheap...

Lurks

探花
Exactly my thinking. Unfortunately they seem to be kinda expensive for a VGA res one. More ebay trawling for a bargain required :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The Dell Axim X51v is a widely-available VGA device that should be pretty inexpensive - the older X50v too, but since that one uses RAM instead of flash memory for storage you have to put up its with its memory getting wiped whenever the battery runs out.