iPhone Demo Video

kenianbei

秀才
Great review... can't wait for the real release! BTW it wasn't clear if it will be possible to import custom dictionaries?

Good news. I thought I read in the past that there was no interest for CPod to work with Pleco. Does this mean greater integration of CPod material with Pleco?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
kenianbei - no custom dictionaries in the first release, but those should be coming in the second one along with flashcards.

estudiando - This is actually John's personal blog, not his ChinesePod one, so I don't think it should be taken to imply anything about a Pleco-CPod relationship. But it's certainly something we'd be interested in if they are.

coljac

Judging from John's review, the produce is already very solid and full-featured, so I'm very hopeful of a short beta. Now only the trained spider monkey who approves iPhone apps can stand between me and iPhone Pleco.

Luckily, my forgotten Palm arrived in the mail today, I really can't wait to toss that thing. Look at me, back at Plecoforums again already....

goulniky

榜眼
awesome as usual… I also learnt that it's Pleeko, despite the latin derivation (hypostomus plecostomus) or 琵琶鼠, also known as 垃圾鱼 apparently :eek:
BTW, sinosplice link doesn't work

Mike, I check the forum daily...

I'm a student here at the Defense Language Institute currently in our intense Mandarin program. 6 months into this and I, along with ALL 400 students, are waiting for this release. Big interest here in Monterey to use your app.

Since arriving at DLI, All of my peers constantly push your product. To the point of tossing perfectly good hardware (old palms, etc) and replacing it with the latest treo. Unfortunately, since a more ACTIVE discussion about an iphone version was on the forum, I'm waiting with baited breath for this release. Send my best to all the programers at Pleco... You have the market cornered on electronic chinese tools!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
goulniky / radioman - Yeah, sinosplice seems to be temporarily down - I think this might relate to the recent ChinesePod outage, even if it's his private blog they may be hosted on the same server / at the same company.

bmdavenport - thanks! We'll be delighted to see this in use at DLI - to this day we still get almost as many orders from Monterey as from all the rest of California put together :)

scoff

radioman said:
For me the review link is unreachable (even via VPN).
According to John's twitter feed, he is having hosting problems...gotta love Dreamhost. Hopefully sinosplice will be back up soon because I'm waiting to read Mike's interview.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Dreamhost was our hosting provider for most of our first few years, actually; in fact we still use them for PlecoMirror.com (which seems to be unaffected) since they offer unlimited bandwidth and excellent latency to China. Very good prices but they do seem to have a fair number of outages.

numble

状元
Clarification on my earlier comment about word lists - while there isn't a system to let you categorize / rearrange / etc words in those as on Palm/WM, we do have a rudimentary feature in place that lets you dump dictionary entries to text files in Pleco flashcard format (with the option to automatically create a new file or add a category tag for each new day of additions) - you can then email those to yourself to import into the Palm / WM version of Pleco, or keep them on your iPhone to import into the flashcard system on that once it's available.
Back to this--is the Pleco format useless for non-Pleco uses? Say I want to print out a list of words to study, or import them into another program like Anki, is that impossible?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, it should be pretty easy to juggle around our word lists to use in another program - they're just a table of tab-separated head / Pinyin / definition. Not every dictionary will include definitions in wordlist outputs, but we think for the first release we'll have that working for the ABCs / ACED / NWP at least (along with all of the free dictionaries), so if you stick to those you should have a fully reusable wordlist.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Heh, neat to get a mention there (always love being quoted as an authority figure :) ), though if http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSPEK15698620091103 is any sign, the actual iPhone China launch may not be that big a deal. Makes things easier for us distribution-wise if we don't have to worry about non-WiFi-equipped phones, though certainly in general it seems like we'll benefit from a healthy and legal Chinese iPhone market.

Azabu

举人
Heh, most Chinese consumers who are using Unicom iPhones aren't your target market anyway for Plecodict (and neither are the huge number of grey market iPhone Chinese users with Wifi).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
True, they're probably mostly going to be contented with the free iPhone version of 金山词霸 or some other domestic dictionary app.

ewilc773

秀才
I noticed that the iPhone version will have a built-in web browser. Is there any possibility of using the iPhone version of Pleco without having unrestricted internet access? Unlike a desktop computer, as far as I know, there's no way to install a filter that will block what pages other applications open. The only way I know of is to block applications, which would unfortunately make Pleco unusable.