iOS 12

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Nothing remotely exciting in iOS 12 for Pleco, sadly, but they did announce that iOS-apps-on-Mac are coming *next* year so there is at least a solution in sight on desktop (and in the meantime it's one less thing to distract us from finishing flashcards / 4.0 :)

Also, current release of Pleco is bugged on iOS 12 developer beta 1; most characters appear blank in result lists, owing to an issue with color palettes. We've already fixed it + will push that fix in an update probably sometime next week, in the meantime Pleco is still usable in Night Mode if for work or other reasons you feel compelled to install that beta.

Also I'm about 99% confident now that Pleco 4.0 will require iOS 11.3 or 4 rather than iOS 12 (the dot releases because they contained some important bug fixes to PDFKit that allow us to use it for PDF reading), but since the hardware requirements haven't changed at all we aren't necessarily going to wait very long before bumping the requirement to iOS 12 just to simplify our testing / development work.

But yeah, basically good news from the Distracted Pleco front - we've got nothing to do this summer but finish 4.0 - but desktop excitement will have to wait until 2019.

Thanks for the status update and waiting for the next release to address the color palette issue. In the mean time, I guess dark mode is the way to go. Also, waiting for the 4.0 release and in particular to have Pleco show up in the share menu.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Share menu has actually been ready for a *very* long time, but we didn't want to do yet another major update without revamping flashcards so here we are.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, that turned into a big data processing mess and I’m not going to make any more predictions about when it might be ready; too many other higher priority things to do with that time.

jsonp

Has the font color bug been fixed? I restored from iOS 12 back to iOS 11 a while back so I could continue using Pleco without dark mode. I’d like to sign up for the public beta if it’s fixed.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It was fixed weeks ago, actually - don’t need a beta, it’s fixed in the regular release version.

plecorich

Hi Mike,

I'm currently running older versions of iOS (10.0.2 on my iPhone 6 and 10.2.1 on my iPad Pro). My hardware is a little bit long in the tooth so I prefer to run older versions of iOS so that they don't slow down (each iteration of iOS slow my devices down to the point where they become more and more unusable). Does this mean that I will no longer be able to run Pleco when you move to Pleco 4.0?

Thank you

Nothing remotely exciting in iOS 12 for Pleco, sadly, but they did announce that iOS-apps-on-Mac are coming *next* year so there is at least a solution in sight on desktop (and in the meantime it's one less thing to distract us from finishing flashcards / 4.0 :)

Also, current release of Pleco is bugged on iOS 12 developer beta 1; most characters appear blank in result lists, owing to an issue with color palettes. We've already fixed it + will push that fix in an update probably sometime next week, in the meantime Pleco is still usable in Night Mode if for work or other reasons you feel compelled to install that beta.

Also I'm about 99% confident now that Pleco 4.0 will require iOS 11.3 or 4 rather than iOS 12 (the dot releases because they contained some important bug fixes to PDFKit that allow us to use it for PDF reading), but since the hardware requirements haven't changed at all we aren't necessarily going to wait very long before bumping the requirement to iOS 12 just to simplify our testing / development work.

But yeah, basically good news from the Distracted Pleco front - we've got nothing to do this summer but finish 4.0 - but desktop excitement will have to wait until 2019.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You'll still be able to run it, you'll just be stuck on an old version. However, iOS 12 is seemingly faster on most devices than iOS 10, so you may find that a worthwhile upgrade anyway :)

jinyan

You'll still be able to run it, you'll just be stuck on an old version. However, iOS 12 is seemingly faster on most devices than iOS 10, so you may find that a worthwhile upgrade anyway :)
I will upgrade my iphone 8 to iOS 12, hope it works well. Thank you.