internet access for treos/ other smartphones

XiKe

秀才
I finally got tired of my phone and palm banging around, so I bought a treo 650 when i was home in the states. At home for internet/email access I had to use a monthly contract, but no such thing seems to exist here in China(at least no one had any idea at the china mobile stores I checked in). All of the GSM cards I have tried have worked fine for phone calls and sms, but I can't seem to get on the internet or configure my treo to work with my email accounts. does anyone know how to set up monthly web access for a treo or other smart phone here in China? They sell the treo's everywhere in the technology flee markets like zhongguancun, but when I bring it into a phone store the workers have never heard of it or seen one before. Do i need a special sim card? Do all my internet minutes just come out of my usually talk minutes? appreciate the help.

ldolse

状元
China Mobile GPRS settings

Not sure if you have a palm device or Windows Mobile device, so I'll skip the device specific steps (can supply windows mobile if needed). Go to your GPRS/Internet connection settings on the phone and set up your connection:

Access Point Name: cmnet

everything else just leave blank/default.

China Mobile only charges per kilobyte, I forget the local rates, but it's extremely low. I think the price drops the more you use if I recall. International roaming is .05 Kuai per kB.

XiKe

秀才
so I don't have to pay for separate data access as I would in the states? Will any chinamobile sim card work?I have the palm version if that changes anything. I appreciate your help- no one in any of the zoomflight stores even seemed to know what they were talking about, though that could have been the fault more of my Chinese than their shoddy knowledge of the subject, of course.

ldolse

状元
I think the feature needs to be enabled, but it was enabled by default on my China mobile SIM when I received it, so I think it's part of the default account setup, at least for a postpaid account - I think for pre-paid you might need to stop in at a store, but it can be enabled there as well.

If you have a post-paid account you can go check the features on the chinamobile.com website - they've got a decent interface for managing the account features, but it's all in Chinese, so I always struggle a bit. Most of the words associated with phone settings don't show up in any dictionaries - so it might be useful to go through the site a bit anyway before you go back through the store. As you piece the characters together it's pretty easy to figure out what translates to what.

There's no monthly fee for enabling it though as far as I can tell, it's just billed on usage.

XiKe

秀才
Intersting- I didn't realize you could buy a post-paid account in china. How do they set it up? Do they bill you at home? DId you just go to a normal phone stoer, or one of those Chinamobile service centers to set it up?

ldolse

状元
It gets billed to my office there, so I never see the physical bill, but I think they can send it anywhere. Once it's set up you can manage your account online, so I monitor usage there.

My guess is it's got to be a China Mobile service center, I think the other phone shops only sell prepaid cards.

Bobbbbb

They will also charge you a deposit of 500rmb, unless you have a local go down with you to sign up using there ID

XiKe

秀才
hmmm, I went down to the Chinamobile "service hall" and they suggested I go with a prepaid mzone plan.
they said I was all set up to use the internet (i even recieved an sms from chinamobile saying as much in chinese), and when I connect to the internet my treo says I am connected and I get the little green indicator, but I ahve been unable to load a single web page or access my mail.
I am using a palm 650, and I am a little confused. i looked for the "acess point" as you suggested, but could not find one, or anything where i could set cmnet. the workers could not help me, because my phone is all in english and they dont know where to look. as for mail, i set everything up according to the websites description, but it always says it cannot access pop.gmail.com.
still confused, appreciate all the help.
(I can make and recieve calls and send messages fine btw, so its just the internet access I cant figure out)

ldolse

状元
I think they meant your account was set up for the internet, not your phone configuration. I'm guessing the light you're referring to means it sees that you have access to GPRS on that network.

I don't use Palm, but it looks like this is how you configure the access point name - looks like they just call it 'service' or 'gprs'

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/GprsSettings

fredrik

秀才
china mobile settings. gprs

I have been using grps with china mobile for over a year. you can call the service number 10086 if you live in shanghai. when you call, have your password for the phone number at hand. ( it is written on the card you got hen you bought the sim card)

there is a service that costs 20RMB per month that gives 50 MB/month of gprs traffic. This is no matter what sim you bought as long as it is china mobile. there is also a 6RMB/month that gives free incoming calls.

settings for china mobile in palm 650.
pref/network:
service ( put what ever)
Connection : GPRS
Username : blank
password: unassigned
APN: cmnet

XiKe

秀才
I actually have a treo 600 and not a treo 650. (no wonder it was so cheap.) anyone know the settings for a 600, or perhaps it is too out of date to work properly?
but I imagine it would be the same. I have my account settings set exactly as you describe above for the 650 and I cant imagine it would be any different. I still can't access a single web page or download any e-mail, despite always being able to sign on for a a gprs connection. do i need to use a proxy server for some reason? I am still baffled...

fredrik

秀才
XiKe said:
despite always being able to sign on for a a gprs connection. do i need to use a proxy server for some reason? I am still baffled...

So you are sicessfully signed in? Try these settings in versamail for gmail:
Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com
Port 587
SSL Yes
Auth Yes

I have no other ideas. Sorry.

I could use some help with this, too, with my Treo 650.

1) I contacted China Mobile and they said my sim card was capable of internet access. They sent an SMS with the following information:

a) GPRS

b) IP address either 10.0.0.172 or 010.000.000.172

c)端口 = 9201

d)接入点(APN) = 名称 = cmwap

e)the other things they said leave blank

for the life of me i cannot figure out where the 端口 setting is.
:?
Anyway, I make these settings, and then it starts to connect and then cancels.
Is there some extra software needed for the Treo?

I much appreciate the help,

southernjohn