Import File - Fields Not filling In

TopCat

秀才
I'm having some issues importing a file of sentences I wish to practice. I have the Chinese characters and English Definitions in the text file with PinYin missing. I wish for Pleco to autofill the Pinyin.

One of two things occurs upon import:
  1. If I use one tab between the Chinese and English Definitions, Pleco recognizes the definitions as PinYin.
  2. If I use two tabs between the Chinese and English, Pleco fills in the PinYin but fails to recognize the definition altogether.
I've checked tabs, tried BBedit, UTF-8, & UTF-16.
I've also tried exporting the pinyin file that auto generates attempting to copy and paste it into the original file and then reimport, but the app crashes upon export.
I've attached the file in question.

Any help on this would go most appreciated.

Attachments

• Compound Complements of Direction.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 382

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Go with option 2, then after you’ve finished your import, go into the newly imported category, tap Edit and Batch and there’s a command in there to fill in the pinyin.

TopCat

秀才
Go with option 2, then after you’ve finished your import, go into the newly imported category, tap Edit and Batch and there’s a command in there to fill in the pinyin.

Option two imports the pinyin already, but not the definitions (translations).
I tried importing with the definitions and then adding pinyin, but the problem is it's importing the definitions into the pinyin fields.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, so what is it giving you instead? Is it linking to existing definitions?

If so, choose 'Allow' as the option for duplicate cards and that should import them with the definitions intact - otherwise it'll link the cards to cards that are already in the database for those same words (so you don't end up studying the same word twice).

TopCat

秀才
Sorry, so what is it giving you instead? Is it linking to existing definitions?

If so, choose 'Allow' as the option for duplicate cards and that should import them with the definitions intact - otherwise it'll link the cards to cards that are already in the database for those same words (so you don't end up studying the same word twice).

Take a look at the attached file.

Pleco is importing the definitions (translated sentences) into the pinyin field. I want them to upload to the definition field and for pleco to autofill the pinyin.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I did, I successfully imported that file onto my iPhone and everything seems to have filled in correctly.

It's possible that a previous unsuccessful import might have created some cards with blank definitions, which Pleco is now merging your new import with. If you delete those previous cards, or import again with duplicate cards allowed, that should hopefully get the new import to use the correct definitions.

TopCat

秀才
Changing to duplicate cards "Allowed" and Definition Source "Prefer File" worked.

Thanks for your support on this! Love the app.