I love Pleco! Upgrade vs wait for 2.0?

joshw

One of the best purchases I've ever made, really great job guys.

I'm tempted to go ahead and buy the full version, but I'm thinking I should wait for 2.0 to come out, since the features listed in the preview section make me salivate profusely.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

And you're certainly welcome to do that, but as stated on that page (and as backed up by our past release history), most of the 2.0 improvements should be available as a free upgrade, and the few that aren't (audio, stroke order diagrams, component search, desktop software) will be very reasonably priced. (exactly how reasonably is TBD, since we're still negotiating a few things)

In your case, though, since you've already bought the Basic version, you probably won't be losing much of anything by buying the ABC dictionary add-on now versus buying it later; we're not planning to reduce the price, and we're not planning to give away the audio / stroke order / etc for free with the purchase of a dictionary, so basically you can pay $60 for the ABC dictionary now or you can pay $60 for the ABC dictionary later. (or $80 for the ABC+NWP now or later) So the main reason you'd want to wait is if you want to see what other new dictionaries (if any) are available with 2.0 before committing to the ABC. But it's highly doubtful that there'll be a new C-E one, we're not actively trying to license one so unless some publisher approaches us with an insanely attractive offer the ABC will remain our primary C-E dictionary in 2.0.

joshw,

I think you should wait if you are not in a hurry. I asked this same question before and was told not to wait since most of it should be free so I went ahead and bought it, only to find out their cutoff for free upgrade was about, I believe 1 or 2 months after I had purchased it.

I was upset to say the least, since I could have certainly waited that long to have bought the older version. *sigh*

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry again about that, but unfortunately we were still negotiating the relevant licenses at the time and had no way of knowing when exactly the cutoff would be. Hence the "most of it should be free" comment.

But now all of those licenses are set, which is why there's now a detailed upgrade policy on our website and people buying 1.0 now can be confident they'll get the stroke order / audio upgrades along with the other new 2.0 features for free.