I can't figure out how to download flashcards to iphone

trisha

秀才
Ok, I'm stupid, I can't for the life of me figure out how to download/import flashcards onto my iphone4.

I've read instructions more than once that go something like:

1) Open up iTunes 2) click on your iPhone's name in the list on the left side of the screen.
3) At the TOP of the screen

The first problem I have is when I get to itunes, my phones name is not on any list on the left. But actually if my phone has a name, I have no idea what it is. And I don't see anything that says 'apps' along the top.

On the left under 'library' I do see something listed called 'Apps' and when I click on it Pleco shows up, but I don't see anything that says "File Sharing" anywhere to be able to find Pleco there. And clicking on it gets no response.

I'd like to download the NPCR cards here: http://china.panlogicsoftware.com/ebooks.html

I've dug around further on my computer, within itunes and on my phone and can't begin to figure out how to get those flashcards - or any other ones for that matter - onto my phone.

What am I missing?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Welcome to our other forum :)

trisha said:
The first problem I have is when I get to itunes, my phones name is not on any list on the left. But actually if my phone has a name, I have no idea what it is. And I don't see anything that says 'apps' along the top.

Sorry about that - this is one of the worst-designed aspects of iOS, sadly, and not one we have much ability to replace/improve.

Is your phone plugged into your computer? If so then it should be in that list under "Devices." You want to click on it, then look at the tabs across the top of the screen and click on the "Apps" one.

trisha said:
On the left under 'library' I do see something listed called 'Apps' and when I click on it Pleco shows up, but I don't see anything that says "File Sharing" anywhere to be able to find Pleco there. And clicking on it gets no response.

Nope, that's the *other* Apps tab, and is the biggest single reason why this is such a confusing process :)

trisha said:
I've dug around further on my computer, within itunes and on my phone and can't begin to figure out how to get those flashcards - or any other ones for that matter - onto my phone.

If your phone has a decent internet connection then you might have an easier time with Settings / Web Browser - you can type in the URL for that site in there and download the lists directly within Pleco.

trisha

秀才
My phone is plugged in, but on the left all I have is stuff under the headings of :
Library
Store
Genius
Playlists

I have no idea what most of that stuff is, but it mostly seems to be for playing music, which I have never done or intend to do with it. I don't see anything called 'Devices' anywhere.

I've tried the Settings / Web Browser thing, and it opens the text file on my phone - but then what do I do? I think I clicked on save this file one time, but I have no idea if it saved or if it did, where it is or how to access it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
trisha said:
My phone is plugged in, but on the left all I have is stuff under the headings of :

Should be between "Store" and "Genius" - have you successfully synced your phone with iTunes in the past?

trisha said:
I've tried the Settings / Web Browser thing, and it opens the text file on my phone - but then what do I do? I think I clicked on save this file one time, but I have no idea if it saved or if it did, where it is or how to access it.

Sorry, it sounds like that website is serving up the file in a way that doesn't tell our web browser it's going to be a text file so it won't auto-download. To fix this, tap on the + button at the bottom of the screen, then tap "Save this page."

trisha

秀才
I really don't know if I've synced it or not. I've gotten photos off my phone and onto my computer, so my computer has recognized the phone, and the phone shows up in My Computer, only pictures and movies show up there though. If I've synced it, I don't know how I did it, and if I didn't I have no idea how to do it. I don't see anything in itunes about syncing anything in any of the menus.

I've saved the txt file, and under flashcards, file manager, the NPCR folder I created is there and the .txt file is there. They don't show up as cards anywhere though. How do you go from a .txt file to flashcards?

trisha

秀才
ok, its late, its after 1AM I need to get to sleep. I've spent hours on this and gotten no where. I don't think I like apple.

trisha

秀才
Ok, right after I shut down my laptop, I decided to give it
One more try fromm phone.

I don't know what I did but I got it to work!

I'll have to figure it out sometime so I can get more but this is a good start.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
trisha said:
Ok, right after I shut down my laptop, I decided to give it
One more try fromm phone.

I don't know what I did but I got it to work!

I'll have to figure it out sometime so I can get more but this is a good start.

Great! Really sorry for the hassle - this is one of a number of things we need to streamline (most likely by adding some sort of in-app flashcard catalog and integrating downloading + importing lists into a single screen).