How to use audio input?

Dumb question time: How do you use audio input? I recall that it worked fine in the past, but now when I try to use it, a google window pops up. After clicking the microphone symbol and recording, instead of sending the input to pleco, it just sits there and the only option I see is to click the microphone symbol which just closes it. What am I missing? I'm using android 9.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's news to us - if you wait longer does it stop recording? Are you maybe somewhere with a lot of background noise where it can't detect the recording has stopped? Does Google's search app have permission to use the microphone?

It is a quiet room. Google just waits. If I let it wait longer, Google complains that it doesn't understand what I am saying. I tried turning off the permission for google to use the microphone, but when I click the mic symbol in Pleco, a pop up appears asking: "allow Google to record audio?"

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... and does voice input work correctly in the separate Google app? Or in any other apps?

To be honest, this isn't something we have a lot of control over - we hand the request off to Google and they hand back text - so I'm not sure if there's anything we can do about this directly on our end.