How To Only Search Cantonese?

Without setting other dictinaries to "fall-back only" or turning them off completely, how can I

(1) search Cantonese only

(2) full-text (reverse search) Cantonese only?

Searching jyutping I get a plethora of UNI results, making it hard to sort through which have correlating GZH entries and which do not.

Eng and Ch has full-text search (dict lang press + long hold options), canto used to (correct me if I'm wrong), but doesn't seem to any more. I'd love to put in some trad mando and get a canto result - without having to sift through a whole bunch of other stuff.

(Related & really the bigger person question: is there a way to simply go into one specific dictionary and search it (both forwards and backwards)).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Easiest way would probably be to create a new dictionary group for Cantonese that excludes UNI. You can also switch to a specific dictionary by long-pressing the dictionary switch button, or can get it cycling with just a tap by turning off "skip on button tap" in its detail screen in Manage Dictionaries.

You can also switch to a specific dictionary by long-pressing the dictionary switch button

I don't know if I, just, don't get this function -or- if something is not working.

When I switch to CY and type any pinyin I constantly get "no results".

Switching to GZH, seems that it is only searchable by Mandarin pinyin?

Reactions: Sy

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry I didn't see this one before.

The system is a bit funny at the moment about which language a single dictionary is being searched in - the most reliable way to search a specific dictionary in a specific way is to create a new group for the type of search you want that contains only that dictionary, that way it'll always do the right kind of search. In the not-too-distant future we'll be doing away with single dictionary searches in the search box entirely and migrating exclusively to groups.

Sorry I didn't see this one before.

The system is a bit funny at the moment about which language a single dictionary is being searched in - the most reliable way to search a specific dictionary in a specific way is to create a new group for the type of search you want that contains only that dictionary, that way it'll always do the right kind of search. In the not-too-distant future we'll be doing away with single dictionary searches in the search box entirely and migrating exclusively to groups.

yeah I always wished there was a search function inside "browse dictionary"

this I'm guessing is in preparation for the outlier dict?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well we were going to do it anyway, but yes, the Outlier dictionary certainly pushes us towards a target date :)