how to import flashcards containing german chars:

gandq

探花

guten tag,

i've had problems with german chars, but after some trial and error i found out what caused those problems and how to get them imported. the only problem i encountered withing plecodict is that if as soon as one wants to edit a custom entry that contains german chars those will vanish. i guess that is just a bug and will be fixed eventually.

import instructions for german users:

1. pleco dict will import german chars without problems, problems all result from the file encoding on your computer.

2. both, text files and pdbs (haven't bothered trying memos), have to be UTF-8 encoded. this can be done by opening your tab-delimited text file with the notepad, clicking 'safe as' and then choosing UTF-8 encoding.

3. for creating pdbs, you now need an e-book converter that will keep this encoding, i use TiBR converter (freeware). (TL-PDB, which i normally use for creating e-books, will only encode files as GB or BiG5, depending on your system unicode settings. those two encodings collide with german chars (thanks, harald!). i don't know what happens if the system unicode setting is not GB or BiG5, btw.)

4. the files can be imported now. pdbs must be stored in internal memory, so that plecodict will find them.

i find that pdb import is more reliable and much easier, as one can just choose a pdb from the list instead of entering a path. text import sometimes wont import all the vocabulary in my flies, don't know why.

ChOS and CJKOS, or rather: palm OS itself cannot handle the UTF-8 pdbs, btw, at least not chinese ones. so don't be surprised if you just get 乱码 when opening them with a normal e-book reader (like TiBR, for example - works good with the pleco resident and is freeware).

i hope i could be of help to someone out there and all the time spent figuring this stuff out wasn't just wasted. if you encounter problems or my instructions won't work for you, please correct me!

@ mike:
- will there be VFS support for pdb import later on? it is by no means essential, thoug.
- memo import is the default setting and one has to select pdbs/text each time again if one doesn't use memos. couldn't plecodict remember your settings from the last import?

MfG

jo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We may add VFS support for PalmDoc files later, but given that there seem to be about three times as many bugs in Beta 1 as we expected it's highly doubtful that we'll add it before 1.0.

And it should remember those settings, yes - even minor things like this may have to wait for 1.1, though. (we really can't afford to fall too much farther behind)