How to import a file into specific flashcards' category?

LeonardoM

进士
Hi everyone,

Here's my situation: I recently bought an iPad, so now I'm adding new cards onto my "BLCU" flashcard category both on my iPhone and iPad, separately. Since it would be a waste of time to add all cards one by one on both devices, i decided sometimes to just simply export BLCU cat from one device, upload it on the other device and merge it with the existing one, and than do the same the other way around, so to have the same cards on both devices.
Now, the problem is that I manage to export the category from one device and import it on the other, but then I just have no clue on where these cards have been put, and there is no option on file manager to upload a file to a specific card category.
I read Pleco manual but couldn't find anything relevant.

Can anybody please help me understand?
Thanks!

Shun

状元
Hi LeonardoM,

if you set the option "Categories" in the "Export Cards" screen, you should get a line with the category name at the beginning of your exported text file:

1649984339760.jpeg

The format is "// <<category name or path>>". By looking at this line, you will know where the cards are going.
I recommend turning off "Dictionary definitions", because you probably have the same dictionaries on both your iPhone and iPad. During import, you can tell Pleco to skip duplicates and fill in missing fields.

Cheers,

Shun

LeonardoM

进士
I just tried, but the problem is that I can't understand how to tell the App to then import those cards into a specific category. I usually export the xml file.

Shun

状元
No problem. I see that the XML format likely imports each card to all the categories it was in on the device you exported it from. So why not try using XML with a very small category and check if Pleco really did import its contents to all of the same categories? If it does, you will have the peace of mind that everything about those cards is mirrored on both devices.

With the Text export format, you will only be importing to a single category that you can influence (after the "//" mark), but without any learning statistics, so you wouldn't know how many times you've already seen a card on the other device, for example.

Last edited:

LeonardoM

进士
Well, I did try already with a category I called BLCU, but it won’t actually merge the same - but larger - blcu file exported from my iPhone. So, for now it doesn’t work.
Perhaps I need assistance from the @devs.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The XML should include categories, actually. Are the cards not in a "BLCU" category on the phone you're exporting them from?

LeonardoM

进士
The XML should include categories, actually. Are the cards not in a "BLCU" category on the phone you're exporting them from?
The cards are in that category indeed, but after importing them "successfully" on the iPad, it seems like nothing gets added, really.
The total number of cards in the blcu category on iPad is like 200 short, compared to the iPhone's same category

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The cards are in that category indeed, but after importing them "successfully" on the iPad, it seems like nothing gets added, really.
The total number of cards in the blcu category on iPad is like 200 short, compared to the iPhone's same category

Hmm... are there some duplicated cards in this category? If so then the importer might be merging them (even if they're showing up separately in the import file) - try importing again but with duplicate card handling set to 'create new.'