How to export flashcards in Chinese-French

Jikes

Hello,

I want to export my flashcards with Chinese-French in a txt file, but I couldn't find the option, I can only export in Chinese-English.
How to do that?

Thank you!

Shun

状元
Hi Jikes,

we'll have to see if you have picked the right Chinese-French dictionaries for your flashcards. I would assume that the KEY Chinese-French dictionary doesn't allow exporting of definitions into a text file, but the Chinese-French CC-CFDICT (or similar) would. There are a few others. You could first batch convert all your flashcards to a dictionary you can export from, if necessary, and then export them.

Do you need more help with any of the above steps?

Hope this helps,

Shun

Jikes

Hi Shun,

The flashcards I want to export are directly from the Chinese-French CC-CFDICT. I did the batch and converted them all already, that's why I thought I could export them, keeping them like they are (Chinese-French).

There's probably a step I missed or don't know;

Thank you!

Shun

状元
Hi Jikes,

you're welcome! Hm, if you enter the Flashcards > Export Flashcards dialog, then select the category containing the CC-CFDICT flashcards, activate both "card definitions" and "Dictionary Definitions", disable "remap if unexportable", do you still get English definitions? It might be that you have "New Flashcard Test" > Display > "Remap cards to dicts" set to some English dictionary, which will replace any card definitions in tests, but I'm not sure if that also affects exported cards. I would try setting that to "No" just to be safe, then try the export again.

Good luck,

Shun

Last edited:

Jikes

Thank you so much! It worked!
I have a few other questions concerning this export:

- is there a way to add the pinyin with the accents and not with the numbers?
- is there a way to add examples from another Chinese-English dictionary with the Chinese-French flashcards definitions? If not, could I take the examples from any Chinese-English dictionaries and translate them in French to add them on my French CC-CFDICT flashcards on Pleco directly?

Thanks again a bunch!

Shun

状元
You're very welcome! Excellent. To your questions:

- Unfortunately, there isn't within Pleco. I always use the desktop Wenlin app to do these conversions. See http://www.wenlin.com/
- If both the English dictionary with the examples and the French dictionary with the definitions are exportable, you could export your flashcards with both (doing a batch convert to the other dictionary in between), then use Python or Excel, for example, to join the two dictionaries' definitions together, and finally re-import the resulting list into flashcards (perhaps using a different flashcard category). I've done such operations before, too. If you wish to translate the English examples into French in between, you'd just have to use a translation service that will translate more than 5,000 bytes/characters at a time, then paste that into Excel. Google Cloud Platform, or even better, DeepL Pro, should be a good option.

Have fun,

Shun