How does Sentence Cloze work in Flashcards with Ankidroid integration?

tarakara

秀才
I came across a Reddit post that show how Cloze works to add any sentence from Pleco to Anki with highlighted Blue font and English example but still can't set it up correctly after trying many settings.

My flashcard settings:
Default New Card Model (word) = Basic / Front = Simplified Headword / Back = Simplified Headword+Mandarin Pronunciation+Definition(Include Examples)
Default New Card Model (sentence) = Cloze / Text = Simplified Headword+Mandarin Pronunciation / Extra = Untouched

With those settings, when I add a word to flashcard using Basic, it shows up correctly but not sure how to utilize the Cloze setting.
When I long press + on DICT page and change from Basic to Cloze, it shows up empty. If I switch to SENT page and highlight a sentence and click +, it only shows e.g. 寫日記是一個好習慣。 Xiě rìjì shì yīgè hǎo xíguàn。without any hidden Blue font or English example. Not sure which is also the right way to add a sentence Cloze flashcard.

May I know which settings should I change for the card to show [...] in Blue font for the main word character and pinyin before/after reveal and the English example like on the Reddit post?

ss.png

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you turned on the option to show a + button for each example? (in Settings / Dict Tab) You have to add them from that - adding them via highlighting text and tapping the plus button in the reader bubble will create a regular flashcard, not a sentence one.

tarakara

秀才
Thanks. The + button for each example is disabled which was the problem.

After I enabled + button for each dictionary, it shows + icon beside each dictionary name for 持, but on some other words like 比, it shows a down arrow inside a square icon for Android(On iOS it's + instead of down arrow inside a square?). It seems clicking both icon will add to flashcards the same way. What is the difference between the icons?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The down arrow means 'update existing card,' i.e. there's already a duplicate card for this word which it's proposing to replace with this definition.