Help needed for efficient profiles and settings

systv

Dear all,

I am using Pleco 2.0 on a windows Mobile device. (Thnking to switch soon maybe to a I-phone version). I want to use the Flashcard module most efficiently, but I don't know much about memorisation technolgies and algorithms and best practizes.

i am having classes using the NPCR, and i already loaded NPCR flash cards into my Pleco.
But what are the best setings to review the vocabulary. I mostly want to use "Show Definition" in a self-scored test, as I prefer to write chinese with a pencil on paper, rather with a stylet or my fingernails on my HTC.

Until now we have seen lesson 1 to lesson 46, which is about 2000 definitions.

What would be good flashcard session profiles in order to enhance memorisation and maximize Pleco's memorisation algorithms ?

For example should I use "Frequency adjust" for older lessons and another profile with "Repetition spaced" for more newer lessons ? or the other way around ?
What kind of profile would be best for complete new flahscards of new future lessons to study ?

There are many parameters, such as for scoring, (Scoring type, Aggressiveness, Difficulty Scaling) etc.... how to use them best in different cases.

The documentation explains the meaning of all these settings, but don't give much advice for best practice and usage.

Thank you in advance for any help.

jiacheng

榜眼
If it were me, I would use "Repetition spaced" for everything. In the long term, it's the best option. The trick is how to save yourself some work in the short term. For newer lessons, you don't need to do anything special, just include them in your test pool as you study them. Since you have already studied the cards in the older lessons, you can try to preset the scores on those cards to represent your familiarity with them and get them on a sane schedule because if you start them all from 100, then you'll be doing a lot of unnecessary reviews of old material.

As for how to set the scores, here's one suggestion: For each lesson, try to estimate about when you studied it. take the number of days it has been since you first studied that lesson, multiply by 75, then set all cards in that lesson to that score. If you want to try and spread them out, you could add in a random increase 0-25%.

Up until now I have been using "old automatic" with an aggressiveness of 3 for my scoring algorithm. I recently switched to "automatic" but tweaked the parameters to mimic the previous settings. Here are those parameters:

easiness change:
incorrect: -22
correct: 4

initial correct score
correct: 400

correct scale score increase %
correct: 100

incorrect score decrease %
incorrect: 0

Score limits
minimum score: 100
Maximum Score: 204800

Minimum easiness: 60
Maximum easiness: 500
Easiness divisor: 50

Cushioned unlearned: (This is personal preference, but i like this setting)

Pay close attention to the "maximum score". it is set to 10,000 by default, which I don't think is the best idea. The reason being is once you accumulate a large amount of vocabulary in your pool, say 5,000 cards at 10,000 points, it will mean that you will be reviewing 50 cards a day on average for that old material. Personally, I study every card in 3 directions, and I have over 10,000 cards in my pool. If I used that setting, then i would be giving myself a minimum of 300 cards a day in addition to the workload that comes from the newer material.

Tio Fali

Hi, it is not very easy to find a person well familiarized with Pleco Flashcards. I've been struggling some months and I don't have a solution for studying my characters flashcards.

as I go adding new Flashcards, I need more repetitions with the most recent one than with the first one. In fact, the old Flashcards are t entirely learned and I don't need to review them more than once each session (one session a day)

I have tried with different configurations but with no results. In theory, The Frequency-adjusted type seems to be perfect for that, but I end up reviewing always the same old Flashcards, once, and once again.

Have you solved this problem?. thanks a lot