help me! Build a new Dict

hehe123

Help me! I want to build a new Dic by VB.net. who can help me a algorithm such as search, sort, analyze ... I am a beginner starting to study VB.net and this is a theme. thanks a lot

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you're new to programming then you really shouldn't be diving into the intricacies of search / sort / text analysis algorithms - the best thing to do when starting out is to focus on developing a good, clean program with a clear and easy-to-understand interface. Besides which, it's silly to waste time writing your own database, just use SQL Server Express - it's free, can be freely redistributed with your application, and will do pretty much everything you're likely to need, and VB.net's Visual Data Designer system will let you do most of the database design graphically, saving lots of time.

chao-ren

进士
Free development platform?

:) Mike, would using "SQL Server Express" be sufficient if you want the database to "sit" under Windows Mobile 5.0. I am assuming that HeHe123 wants a mobile solution as well as a desktop one eventually. Also this database should take Chinese characters(unicode text) without any problems since ACCESS already does. But then you can't port your solution to any other platform other than Windows. ie a Palm-top solution needs rewriting, maybe with a different language.

All considered, a free development software suite that Microsoft is offering right now does sounds awfully attractive. One should never waste such opportunities.

hehe123, if you really have problems with algorithims why not start using Filemaker, design your solution using that, then try programming using VB. Your solution would probably be much better and quicker because filemaker is designed for people who don't have any knowledge of database. Unfortunately, filemaker is not free.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, that's part of why I suggested it - there's a Windows Mobile version of SQL Server Express too. It seems FileMaker can also handle this, but if you're learning VB.net anyway then you might as well use the database that's best integrated with that.