HELP!! How to use the flashcards?????

Hartville

秀才
I read thru the manuel a number of times but it really did not help me understand
how to use Flashcards to their fullest. Gato sent me an e-mail (Flashcards Simplified)
which did teach me a number of things however I am still struggling with the system.

During Shi Da University's summer break I need to learn a lot of new characters
for the coming year or else I am going to have problems. What I would like to do
is make up a number of lists: adverbs, verbs, nouns etc. each list containing fifty to
sixty characters. I plan to review each list in groups of five characters at a time. When I really know a character I want it to be replaced with another one however later on, two to
three weeks, I want to be tested on that character again to see if I still remember it.

Is this what I should do in order to learn/memorize these characters? If not what
would you suggest? Also, is there someone out there who could help me set up
such a system? It would have to be explained in layman terms and please take nothing
for granted. I do not know what rank, flags ect. mean.

In Flashcards Simplified, Koreth started off very well then I got lost when he started
talking about ranks, repetition spacing and frequencies. I think maybe I would like to
use his system of learning however I am left in the dark as how to implement it.

I hope Plecodict 2 instruction manuel is entitled "Plecodict 2 for Dummies"
and that the Pleco people put everything on youtube as well.

gato

状元
How about a variation on "flashcard simplified"? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=614

As discussed in another thread, "repetition spacing" works on the assumption that you study once a day and every day, so it may not work for those with a more irregular study schedule (for example, someone who may study a list four times on one day and none the next).

The method below does not assume anything about how often you study, and the order of the words it tests you is exactly as you entered and entirely predictable:

Create the lists of flashcards you need (adverbs, verbs, nouns, etc). (I'll assume you know how already. Read the manual if you don't.)

Start a new flashcard session (Menu->Flashcards->New Flashcard Session.

Under Card Setting (p. 53 of manual).
- Set "Sort by" to "creation date - earlier". This will fix the problem of cards showing up in random order.
- Set Mode to "Fixed # of Cards" and "5" (or however many cards you want to review).
- Set Limit Ranks to "1 through 1" (I use rank 1 to indicate cards I have not memorized, yet).

Under Rank Setting
- Set "Advance to next rank after" to "3 correct in a row." This will require you get the card right three times in a row before its rank advances by 1. In other words, when a card goes from rank 1 to 2, you will have gotten it right three times in a row.
- Set "Retreat' to "1" so that a card will go down a rank if you get it wrong once.

Under Test Setting:
Next to "Test:" check "Char"
Next to "Show: check "Char" "PY" and "Defn"

Click on "Start Session." Ignore the rest of the settings for Card, Rank, and Flag.