HDC Pleco-added data

jurgen85

榜眼
The original HDC doesn't include Pinyin for multi-character words; that's all our own addition.

1. The add-on description implies all pinyin, including single-character words, is your addition. Which is/was true?

2. I'm also curious about which types of headwords are supplied by the publisher as simplified and which types as traditional, and approximately how large the share of each is?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) The single-character pinyin mostly comes from them, but not 100%, so we didn't want to imply it was totally authoritative.

2) We haven't ever done a thorough analysis of that.

jurgen85

榜眼
It's obviously super helpful to have the additions for searching purposes, but is there a way for us users to identify them? Since it contains all those rare words not found elsewhere, I feel like that would make me less hesitant about referencing it (since it is the authority of authorities).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm afraid it's not really practical for us to identify those because it has a lot to do with indexing / making sure that character entries merge with entries for the same character in other dictionaries / etc.

Also just in general I'm not sure if I'd treat HDC as an authority-of-authorities on character readings - that's not really its job (or the focus of most of the research that went into it).

jurgen85

榜眼
How is the indexing and merging handled in LAC with the arrows? Could not something similar be done with e.g. a plus symbol for HDC? (at least for the pinyin)

Authority or not, it would still be nice to know what HDC says and what it doesn't say.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's not really the tricky part of this, to be honest. I can certainly add it to our list of feature requests but I can't promise we'll get to it anytime soon since it's quite a lot of work for a fairly obscure / archaic benefit.