Having trouble installing dictionaries. Please help

Hello,

I am a beginner chinese learner and I was advised to use this.
Upon trying to look up certain words, I was not getting the words I was looking for (example: if I try to look something simple..such as "zai" or "wo"...it give me something completely different.)

I was told to install more dictionaries, so I downloaded some using my tablet. I have the zip file saved on my sd card however if I go to add-ons and then click the 3 dots on the upper right corner and hit the "add-zip" button. and then select a zip it says that their is an error and it wont install.

I tried to download a pdb from my laptop, transfer to SD card and try to install and it doesnt allow that either.

this app seems very promising; however I am unable to use it at all.

can you please help???

thank you

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Try typing a multi-syllable word like "nihao" - does that search normally? And try tapping on the icon at the top right corner of the screen to switch between Chinese and English search - do you get better results then? (it might be that it was looking for English words beginning with "zai" or "wo")

If those don't give you good results, it may be that Pleco's data files are corrupted, in which case I'd recommend deleting and reinstalling the entire app.

Try typing a multi-syllable word like "nihao" - does that search normally? And try tapping on the icon at the top right corner of the screen to switch between Chinese and English search - do you get better results then? (it might be that it was looking for English words beginning with "zai" or "wo")

If those don't give you good results, it may be that Pleco's data files are corrupted, in which case I'd recommend deleting and reinstalling the entire app.

Thank you. I re-installed and worked perfectly.

Can you still teach me how to install files on my tablet please? I would love to diversify my dictionaries :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If the .zip file decoder is giving you an error message then that suggests the file is corrupted or unreadable - if you move the file to internal memory does it work better from there?

If the .zip file decoder is giving you an error message then that suggests the file is corrupted or unreadable - if you move the file to internal memory does it work better from there?

I had to download directly from the to the tablet and I was able to install one the dictionaries...now I am just trying to figure out how I can make it work

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Is it a paid dictionary or a free one? For paid dictionary add-ons, all you can do until you purchase them is browse entries (tap on the dictionary's listing in the Paid tab in Add-ons, then tap on Browse).