Hardware option while waiting for the dust to settle

llraper

I've been watching the OS/hardware discussions with real interest. I've been running Palm since the original US Robotics Palm Pilot and Pleco since the days of Oxford-only. Pleco is probably my most frequently-used Palm software.

I thought I wanted to move to Windows Mobile until I saw the complaints about the various options for Chinese character input/display for other apps. The apparent quirkiness of these devices plus Verizon's demanding a data plan (which I don't need) with any SmartPhone gave me second thoughts.

My decision for now is to stall and wait for the iPhone/iPod Touch version, but my Palm T|X digitizer has been cranky from day one and was becoming more so plus the on/off switch was failing as well as the speaker.

I found a vendor in EBay who is refurbishing *and upgrading* Palm devices. He has over 4000 reviews with a 100% satisfaction rating. I bought a T|X from him with an upgraded digitizer (huge difference in input) and on/off switch (works reliably now) plus a voice recorder app (ok, not a deal maker or breaker). Not cheap at $225 including shipping, but includes a 90-day warranty. It works beautifully - literally better than new. Then I sent my old T|X to him for repair/upgrade - upgraded digitizer and on/off switch plus speaker repair $77.

Now I am comfortably in stall mode and can continue to function normally while waiting for the WM / iPhone / Pre / etc. dust to settle before making another move. Not everyone's cup of tea, but for me it works.

If you're interested his website is www.PalmDr.com. His EBay seller ID is "itsnothere". Definitely worth investigating if you're uncertain which way you want to go and your Palm is failing.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for the recommendation: there are a lot of people out there with broken-down Palms who could use something like that, particularly as so many of them are, like you, waiting for the dust to settle.

If you're concerned about Chinese character input, though, I definitely wouldn't get an iPhone / iPod. Chinese character display may work a bit more reliably, but Chinese input systems on Windows Mobile are far superior to anything available officially or unofficially on iPhone - ZTA4 and PlumSIP are really first-rate. (this may be the rare area where even iPhone boosters / WM haters are willing to concede that WM is better)

mbldev

I love my HTC Touch Pro running windows mobile. I am waiting for the HTC Touch Pro 2 running windows mobile 6.5 to hit my local market.