Hands-free Pleco flashcards

I'd like to be able to do flashcards "hands free" (or at least not holding/looking at the phone). The main thing that I'd need is some method of remote control. A bluetooth keyboard? A bluetooth media controller? Voice commands? Is there anything like this that Pleco would respond to (e.g. via keyboard shortcuts, or bindings for media controls)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not reliably at the moment, though we're working on a solution for that. However since you're on Android you might be able to find a utility that would map Bluetooth media controls or other things to specific screen locations / buttons and simulate taps on them. (I haven't researched this so I don't know of the names of any particular ones, I just know this is theoretically possible on Android and therefore very likely to exist)

Looks like that kind of app is called a "remapper". Simulating touchscreen actions requires rooting your phone, unfortunately. Simulating keypresses looks to be easier, so having keyboard shortcuts in pleco would be handy for that.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It shouldn’t require root, actually - accessibility services can do it without rooting. (We use one ourselves for Screen Reader, though we don’t currently take advantage of its tap simulation support)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They backed off of that a few months later under user pressure. (Good thing, too, or we would have probably had to limit our Screen Reader feature to people downloading Pleco outside of Google Play)