Had to jailbreak my iphone, but now I can't restore purchase

So this whole thing seems like sort of a catch 22.

I bought the OCR reader back in the US because it was awesome and amazing after having lived in China for 2 years without anything like that. When I found this app I was made of pure delight. I in fact bought my iphone specifically so I could use pleco's camera translator in China for the rest of my stay here.

However, now that I've come to China, I had to unlock my iphone. This meant jailbreaking it. Now that it's jailbroken, I can't restore pleco's OCR reader. It tells me:

"This is a Test User account.

Please create a new account in the Sandbox environment.

[Environment: Sandbox]"

I'm reading that this is something apple put in the phone to stop people from jailbreaking their phones, then doing in-app purchases to get around the system? I don't want to do anything weird with the jailbreaking, I'm not getting around any system except trying to use a Chinese mobile carrier. I already paid for the OCR, but now I don't get to use it because I want to use my phone in China? The place where I would need to use the OCR?

Can anyone help me out here or is this one of those things where you can't talk about it? Or one of those things where I'm going to get yelled at for jailbreaking my phone?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Had to jailbreak my iphone, but now I can't restore purc

octopus1138 said:
So this whole thing seems like sort of a catch 22.

I bought the OCR reader back in the US because it was awesome and amazing after having lived in China for 2 years without anything like that. When I found this app I was made of pure delight. I in fact bought my iphone specifically so I could use pleco's camera translator in China for the rest of my stay here.

However, now that I've come to China, I had to unlock my iphone. This meant jailbreaking it. Now that it's jailbroken, I can't restore pleco's OCR reader. It tells me:

"This is a Test User account.

Please create a new account in the Sandbox environment.

[Environment: Sandbox]"

I'm reading that this is something apple put in the phone to stop people from jailbreaking their phones, then doing in-app purchases to get around the system? I don't want to do anything weird with the jailbreaking, I'm not getting around any system except trying to use a Chinese mobile carrier. I already paid for the OCR, but now I don't get to use it because I want to use my phone in China? The place where I would need to use the OCR?

Can anyone help me out here or is this one of those things where you can't talk about it? Or one of those things where I'm going to get yelled at for jailbreaking my phone?

Not to worry, we certainly can talk about this and it should be easy to fix.

The problem actually isn't caused by jailbreaking but by another app that's often installed automatically on jailbroken phones; it's called AppSync, and it has the unfortunate side-effect of clobbering Apple's in-app purchase system. So the best way to fix this problem is to uninstall AppSync. It's not required for your phone to stay jailbroken / usable in China, in fact its main purpose is software piracy, so it shouldn't be any great loss, though if for some reason you do need it you can reinstall it after restoring purchases. Here's how to uninstall it:

1) Open up Cydia and delete AppSync.
2) Delete Pleco.
3) Power your phone completely off and on (hold down the power button).
4) Re-download Pleco.
5) Try restoring purchases again.

If that doesn't work, PM me with your phone's UDID (you can get that through the "Contact Support" command in the "Settings" tab) and we can restore your purchases through an alternate method.

Awesome! Thanks! I don't see anything called AppSync however. Here's a list of programs that are showing up when I look around in the Packages section:

Big Boss Icon Set
Cydia Installer
Cydia Translations
Essential
Mobile Substrate
Saurik's Source
ultrasn0w
something I can't read that's in Chinese: 1.4.1

I also don't see anything called AppSync in the Expert version of the packages section.

In sources:
BigBoss
ModMyi.com
repo666.ultrasn0w.com
Telesphoreo Tangelo
ZodTTD & MacCiti
Something in Chinese I can't read from http://apt.178.com

I'm a little afraid to try to delete that thing in Chinese. I'm obviously not someone who does this sort of thing, so I'm nervous about deleting it because it might have something to do with the network and then I'll never be able to find it again because it's in Chinese. :-/

Although I'm pretty confident it's just ultrasn0w I need. The reason I had someone else unlock it because my phone was too many OS's forward for ultrasn0w to work, so they put it back to 4.2 and it's unlocked now. I've included a picture of the chinese program they put on here.

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-08-29 at 15.59.jpg
    Photo on 2011-08-29 at 15.59.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,979

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

octopus1138 said:
Awesome! Thanks! I don't see anything called AppSync however. Here's a list of programs that are showing up when I look around in the Packages section:

Big Boss Icon Set
Cydia Installer
Cydia Translations
Essential
Mobile Substrate
Saurik's Source
ultrasn0w
something I can't read that's in Chinese: 1.4.1

Although I'm pretty confident it's just ultrasn0w I need. The reason I had someone else unlock it because my phone was too many OS's forward for ultrasn0w to work, so they put it back to 4.2 and it's unlocked now. I've included a picture of the chinese program they put on here.

The Chinese program doesn't look like anything AppSync-related... are you sure this isn't a list of repositories rather than of installed packages? A couple of them like Saurik's Source seem more likely to be file repositories (though I guess they could just be repository browsers).

Mobile Substrate is one possibility - it's another program used for iOS system hacking and it's possible that there might be a Mobile Substrate module installed that's having the same effect that AppSync would.

Honestly, I don't know what anything is. I just wanted my phone to work and had someone make that happen because I wasn't doing it right when I tried. Because of this, I'm not exactly sure what is on my phone anymore and what does what. :-/

Also it appears that deleting mobile substrate will delete ultrasn0w, so I don't want to do that.

I'll PM you with my UDID

bobukefu

Hello,
I have almost the same problem
first, I lost my old Iphone 4 and bought a new one.
had to jailbreak it and cant restore the purchase
I tried to delete App Sync and others you've mentioned, nothing helped me.
So please help me restore.
Here Iphone's info:
Registration ID: Not Registered
Version: pi229
Model: iPhone
Name: Татьяна
UDID: ec7abca7fed638c881fd8a68a0245607e60e7a43
Locale: ru_RU
OS Version: 4.1

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

bobukefu said:
Hello,
I have almost the same problem
first, I lost my old Iphone 4 and bought a new one.
had to jailbreak it and cant restore the purchase
I tried to delete App Sync and others you've mentioned, nothing helped me.
So please help me restore.

Was AppSync actually installed, or did you try to delete it but fail to find it?

If you don't see AppSync listed, look for an app called Install0us instead - if you don't see either of those, check to see if you have an app called MobileSubstrate in your main program launcher, and if you do, open it and see if either AppSync or Install0us is listed in there (if it is, delete it).

bobukefu

All of these programms I've already tried to delete and it still doesn't work.
But now the messae is changed into
"Please log in with the same user account that has bought the app"
So actually I dont remember exactly which of the 2 accounts I used 1 year ago, but now I try both and it's still the same message.

Can you please check from which I've bought it?
i will write you my 2 accounts using PM
thank you

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

bobukefu said:
All of these programms I've already tried to delete and it still doesn't work.
But now the messae is changed into
"Please log in with the same user account that has bought the app"
So actually I dont remember exactly which of the 2 accounts I used 1 year ago, but now I try both and it's still the same message.

Can you please check from which I've bought it?
i will write you my 2 accounts using PM

We don't have any access to iTunes account data, unfortunately - Apple anonymizes everything so we have no way to look up an order by name or email address. However, if you saved your original purchase receipt you should be able to find your purchase email address from that.

Re that error message, though, did you follow the steps in my earlier instructions to delete and re-download Pleco? If not, do that - if Pleco was originally downloaded while those apps were installed then it might have been screwed up so that it wouldn't correctly link to your iTunes account.