Grand Ricci

zull123

I was pretty thrilled by the release of the Gu hanyu dacidian, until I saw the last newsletter by the Association Ricci: http://www.grandricci.org/cidian14.pdf. They state that a version of the Grand Ricci for Pleco should be out in the next months. I actually had to do a small dance to celebrate these news!

Michael, do you have a rough idea about pricing (or a release date)? I guess It won't be cheap, but I can't wait to throw some of my cash at you guys.

Wan

榜眼
Sounds awesome, if it is true. How will you display the jiaguwen displayed in the print version? Is there a good way to do that or will you just omit them?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
zull123 said:
I was pretty thrilled by the release of the Gu hanyu dacidian, until I saw the last newsletter by the Association Ricci: http://www.grandricci.org/cidian14.pdf. They state that a version of the Grand Ricci for Pleco should be out in the next months. I actually had to do a small dance to celebrate these news!

Michael, do you have a rough idea about pricing (or a release date)? I guess It won't be cheap, but I can't wait to throw some of my cash at you guys.

It's probably going to be another "early access" dictionary; before they blabbed about it in their newsletter, we were planning to hold off and release it with two other somewhat-related new ones that we're working on, in conjunction with the new type design, but it's pretty much ready now.

Searching will be a bit glitchy in our old iOS app, though, since there are a *lot* of Pinyin variants and it's only in our new search engine that we finally came up with a reliable way to deal with those (and even that still has a few kinks to sort out on Android) - you may not be able to get consistent results for variant pronunciations of words until the big iOS update (and its accompanying medium-sized Android one). For that reason it may have to remain "early access" until that update is ready.

Haven't quite decided about pricing yet - won't be cheap, but the question is whether we should assume it'll only be interesting to academics and price it around that, or whether we should also treat it as "ABC for French speakers" and price it to potentially appeal to any French speaker learning Chinese.

Wan said:
Sounds awesome, if it is true. How will you display the jiaguwen displayed in the print version? Is there a good way to do that or will you just omit them?

They'll be omitted in the first release (though the text that goes with them will be included, in a separate "Histoire Grand Ricci" database linked from the regular entries), but added in a subsequent one once we get embedded images working, something we need to do anyway for the sake of rare character support.

Wan

榜眼
mikelove said:
They'll be omitted in the first release (though the text that goes with them will be included, in a separate "Histoire Grand Ricci" database linked from the regular entries), but added in a subsequent one once we get embedded images working, something we need to do anyway for the sake of rare character support.
Not a very important update for most users, but it’s important to see the to some.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wan said:
Not a very important update for most users, but it’s important to see the to some.

And an important capability in general, we think - all sorts of other reasons to want to embed images in dictionary entries too.

MMarks

举人
This is wonderful! I like the way it's divided into a modern part and a historical part too. I can't believe I can get something like this at that price.