German dictionary

Shun

状元
Despite all the upcoming updates to the app, will the new paid German dictionary also come out by this summer? Thanks!

Last edited:

魏波德

ok:), keep up the good work and great support, mike! thanks for making learning chinese easier for all of us!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes - bunch of new dictionary releases are held up a bit waiting on an iOS+website update that will overhaul the way we sell dictionaries, though at some point we'll decide that we're losing more money by waiting than we would by selling them with the old system.

Shun

状元
Hi Mike, thanks for the info. What if you sold them at a higher price with the old system for those who would be willing to pay, then sell them through the web at the lower price for those who are willing to wait? I would be in the former category.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's not about that, it's about doing a better job of demoing them in-app - we think we lose a lot of sales because our demo versions suck. If someone learns about + tries the dictionary in our old app and doesn't buy it they probably aren't going to try it a second time once we update the app.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, we haven't finished them yet - we haven't been in a hurry because we would like to have those upgrades ready too since we think the dictionaries will sell a lot better with those upgrades.

iOS users are responsible for 75% of our sales overall and an even higher share of add-on dictionary sales - we wouldn't be able to offer nearly as many dictionaries if we sold only Android apps - so even if you're an Android user, getting iOS users to give us more money ultimately means better dictionaries for you too. An unsuccessful release of these new dictionaries makes it very hard for us to financially justify licensing + releasing any more, so it's worth the time to get it right.

Wan

榜眼
Is there a release date for the German dictionaries yet, or maybe a way of pre-ordering and getting preliminary versions? In Android, I mean? I have Christmas in mind :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, given our checkered history with release dates we don't accept preorders - don't want to have people pay for something and then end up waiting longer than they expected to receive it.