German-Chinese dictionary

Nob

秀才
Since the last Update the HanDeDict for Plecodict of Nov, 17th it supports Traditional Chinese as well.

mkengel

daniu said:
Well - to be honest: I do not know much about HanDeDict but did just assume by the name that it must be something like CeDict. Sorry about that! However I think on the long run it might be a good idea to change the name to something more independant because I think it is a close thought that something that sounds similar also is similar. For CeDict I can really say that in the last years - AFAIK not much has happened and the dictionary cannot be compared to commercial dictionaries.

You don't know anything, but you talk bad about it. We really need such comments.
Probably, you also don't know that CEDICT is not really maintained anymore and that there is an independent CC-CEDICT now, which has gained speed and is developping fast.

daniu said:
if HanDeDict develops nicely and you exceed the limitations CeDict has
Don't worry, we do - and we are even going to collaborate with CC-CEDICT - and we just helped giving birth to a CFDICT (Chinese-French) dictionary.
There are hundreds of users contributing to improve these dictionaries - and not just complaining.

Michael Engel

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

once more ... calm down.

You are right: I don't know anything and it is not my job to keep myself updated about anything. It is yours ... So - thanks for informing me!

Please think about the way you communicate with me because like this I am much more willing to buy a dictionary than to support anything you do and I am someone who has the money to either buy a commercial dictionary or to support HanDeDict. In that you should really start to treat me like a "customer". You can compare your posts to the ones of Mike - then you know what I am talking about ...

Maybe you should consider that my view on this is what might have developed in the mind of more people. So go and do your job and YOU stop complaining. This is not NTV - this is a forum and everybody knows how reliable the information is in a forum. It is nothing special that people write what they understood ... I am gratefull that I know now and I consider it your job to inform more people.

best regards
Daniel

PS.: still not having a link to HanDeDict. I have less time than money ... so I will not look around and hope that I find it! My English is good enough to be able to use the commercial english dictionaries. But without using HanDeDict I will never support it ...

mkengel

A last word because I don't like to quarrel endlessly with a hypothetical customer.

Actually, we treat our users like good customers. Therefore, I would like to describe our normal customers. Usually, they don't pay anything, we pay the server and lots of working hours, some of our customers contribute new words or correct wrong entries, some of them don't. Some of them request new features, some of them are just happy with what we have. Some of them send us their vocabulary files for inclusion or other important information.
All of them, however, understand that it is in our mutual interest to work together for a better (and free!) dictionary and better learning materials. So, they don't complain on other sites about HanDeDict.
I am sure there are many for whom HanDeDict is not enough and they don't use it, we are not angry about that as we know our deficiencies. But we are hard working to improve the dictionary and to win these people over.

Those of you who don't know the online version of HanDeDict, please come and have a look, because we have a lot of materials in addition to the dictionary, the address is http://chdw.de
Especially good is our word-by-word analysis of Chinese texts. Our server finds the words, translates them into a vocabulary list, which you can print out or download as pdf file. The latter functionality requires being a registered user which is also free.
(A remark, one can find HanDeDict VERY easily on Google, either by typing "HanDeDict" or even just "Chinesisch" - it's on the first results page.)

A note regarding CC-CEDICT: you can find it here: http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php
Since the new maintainer took over, it has developed into a dictionary which makes good progress. New releases are regular and you also find a lot of functions in addition.

-------A note to Mike Love------
I personally think it is a good idea to have commercial Chinese-German dictionaries in addition to HanDeDict. I also have several (printed) Chinese-German dictionaries.
When you fixed the new format, please talk to us, that we can make sure that people using your software have an easy access to new versions of HanDeDict.

Sorry Mike for the quarrel, I didn't expect that it will end like this. I would have not said anything to Daniel, if he had just said "I personally would like to have also commercial dictionaries" but he needed to say "However when I think of CeDict and assume that this is what HanDeDict will be like I still believe that it would be much better to have a commercial dictionary."
So some of your customers might think "HanDeDict" is bad, therefore a clear correction was necessary.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well it would be nice if both of you could have moved this to HanDeDict's forum, but anyway, as far as commercial dictionaries, as I've said before we'll figure out what to do with that based on downloads of the free HanDeDict module and orders from Germany in general after we release 2.0. If we release a commercial German dictionary we'd probably also want to have a German-localized version of Pleco (in spite of the high level of English fluency, the software's still going to feel friendlier and sell better if it's localized), and we'd certainly need to come up with a better way to accept non-credit-card payment methods like ELV/Lastschriften. And might even want to consider licensing an English-German/German-English dictionary so that our German customers could get all of their translation needs in one package.

This could lead into other languages too, actually, we have a lot of French- and Spanish-speaking users and if we could find good Chinese dictionaries for those languages (we've gotten a few good suggestions on French but haven't come up with anything more than a concise dictionary for Spanish yet) it would be nice to cover everyone. Plus our English-speaking users could benefit by having access to translation dictionaries for other languages, and the really determined ones could, for example, install a Chinese-to-German dictionary and, if it turned out to be the only dictionary with a definition for a particular word, cross-reference it in a German-to-English dictionary.

mkengel

Sorry Mike and others,
we ran into a vicious cycle - we should have used private messages instead.
Cheers
Michael Engel

Hi!

Just a short link to the new HanDeDict for Pleco: German --> Chinese
http://www.chinaboard.de/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15
search for
"HanDeDict für Pleco: Deutsch-->Chinesisch suche"
(There's a new converter too).

@PlecoDict-Team: Two comments:
1) Pleco doesn't fully support German Umlaute (like äüößÖÄÜ) yet.
2) The order of entries required for MakePlecoDict: en --> ch is kind of "hard to guess", but necessary for proper search results. (Sorry, I know there's no support for MakePleco.)

regards,
Sebastian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The November 17th database has now been posted on our server at:

http://www.pleco.com/handedict.zip

Old version was renamed to handedict-old.zip, and the old old version is now handedict-veryold.zip.

Tomcollins - we're aware of the issue with #1, the main problem is getting all of these characters to show up in Palm OS-style fonts (have to design the characters ourselves, and in 4 different resolutions) but we're working on it at least. And with #2, our in-house dictionary converter utility now includes an automated sort function and this should be available in the externally-released MakePlecoDict 2.0 too.

Nob

秀才
Mike..

Dear Mike,

please put the German-Chinese Version on your Server too. So that the people with plecodict dont have to read two forums. thank you.

Since I cannot link to their board you find the link at:
http://www.chinaboard.de/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=15

(As far as I know, some entries (i.e. too long ones) had to be deleted but now it works very well.)