Fonts - Any suggestions? Plus, some feedback from my Note2

Hey,

Iv'e replaced my iPhone 4 with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, mainly because of the simple reason that i needed a much bigger screen for my Chinese learning. Transferring my flashcard database was easy thanks to Pleco's great system, but now i find that android's basic Chinese font is really ugly.
I saw the options to switch the font, but since i'm pretty new to the language - does any one have suggestions for better looking fonts? are there any free fonts for the android that i could install?

Also - iv'e seen that you guys are in the process of licensing fonts to be built in to app, is there any eta on a new version with the new fonts?

Thanks!

Edit:
Ok, i've put my thinking hat on, and found a nice simkai font, happy with it for now but would really love if you could still give suggestions!

As iv'e said, i've replaced my iPhone with a Note 2 (N7100), and i'm very happy with it, but i do have some feedback for Pleco.
First, the touch on Pleco is WAY too sensetive. i can't make a straight line to save my life (as opposed to the s Note program, which is just right). Maybe you guys could tweak it and optimize for the s Pen? make it pressure sensitive like on the s Note?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Fonts - Any suggestions?

TheHunter88 said:
Iv'e replaced my iPhone 4 with a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, mainly because of the simple reason that i needed a much bigger screen for my Chinese learning. Transferring my flashcard database was easy thanks to Pleco's great system, but now i find that android's basic Chinese font is really ugly.
I saw the options to switch the font, but since i'm pretty new to the language - does any one have suggestions for better looking fonts? are there any free fonts for the android that i could install?

You might like the open-licensed Ming and Kai Arphic ones, though I'm not quite sure how well they perform with Android's font renderer (which tends to be rather cranky).

TheHunter88 said:
Also - iv'e seen that you guys are in the process of licensing fonts to be built in to app, is there any eta on a new version with the new fonts?

No, we're still waiting for the foundry to finish customizing them for us, and the aforementioned cranky font renderer means that some of them might not prove to be usable on Android at all. (the main thrust of our typography improvement efforts is iOS, since in that particular area Android unfortunately still lags way behind - even the old Windows Mobile had a better font renderer)

TheHunter88 said:
As iv'e said, i've replaced my iPhone with a Note 2 (N7100), and i'm very happy with it, but i do have some feedback for Pleco.
First, the touch on Pleco is WAY too sensetive. i can't make a straight line to save my life (as opposed to the s Note program, which is just right). Maybe you guys could tweak it and optimize for the s Pen? make it pressure sensitive like on the s Note?

Possibly, but I really hate spending our time on manufacturer-specific APIs (can't even tell you how many hours we spent on those back in the Palm days) - I keep hoping that Google will add official pen support to Android so that we can support the s pen and other things like it via their API instead of having to do it in a way that only works on Samsungs.

Re: Fonts - Any suggestions? Plus, some feedback from my Not

Thank you for the quick reply, again you are very helpful! I'm very happy with the simkai font right now, it's the same font as in the books that we use in class. But i will check the one's u suggested :)

As for the s Pen, i hope you might find a way. Maybe make use of the button on the pen itself? to make into an eraser? it works on some other apps iv'e tested, so maybe you can incorporate it too?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Fonts - Any suggestions? Plus, some feedback from my Not

TheHunter88 said:
As for the s Pen, i hope you might find a way. Maybe make use of the button on the pen itself? to make into an eraser? it works on some other apps iv'e tested, so maybe you can incorporate it too?

Oh we certainly can support it, but we'd rather not encourage Samsung's forking of Android (the same reason we've neglected to list in the Amazon AppStore or the Samsung app store), so we're giving Google one more chance to roll official stylus support into Android 5.0 before we give up and add Samsung-specific stylus code. (more a point of principle than anything else: I firmly believe that both developers and users are better off when everybody is running the same Android, the only people who benefit from fragmentation are device manufacturers)